Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nik plug-ins window size

Real Name
    Dave

Nik plug-ins window size

Hi Nik users,

I have the full set of plug-ins, and the different sizes of the Nik windows, on a 23 inch monitor FWIW, is a wee bit irritating:

Color Efex Pro 4 - full screen
    Dfine 2 - almost full screen
    Sharpener Pro 3 Output - small window (relatively)
    Silver Efex Pro 2 - full screen
    Viveza 2 - small window

Anyone know how to increase the window size of Sharpener and Viveza? (Double clicking on the border doesn't seem to do anything)

While I am here - does anyone use any Nik discussion forums?

Dave

Real Name
    Robin

Re: Nik plug-ins window size

On my iMac SEP2 and Viveza open about 3/4 size by default but can be maximised in the standard way CEP4 always opens full screen. No idea why and I've yet to find a setting to alter the default sizes.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Brilliant question, to which I also wish to re-learn the answer.

I did read how to do it (On a PC it's Ctrl + ?; or Ctrl+Alt +?), but have forgotten. The other evening I went through every combination I could think of and still didn't get it to work.

So, I will bow at the feet of the person who can provide the answer ........ which I will then save securely.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Dave: for Define and sharpener you do not need full size, move mouse across image and look in the loop bottom right hand side of page it will allow you to see the before and after of what it has done.

Cheers:

Allan

In Viveza on a PC hit the letter "f" and it will make it full screen. Don't know how to do the same to output sharpener or define. Don't know what it is on a Mac, maybe the same.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in Louisiana View Post
    In Viveza on a PC hit the letter "f" and it will make it full screen. Don't know how to do the same to output sharpener or define. Don't know what it is on a Mac, maybe the same.
    Carl is the one who will have the honour of me bowing at his feet. So much for my nonsense about Ctrl + ?. Carl - You're wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Carl is the one who will have the honour of me bowing at his feet.
    Not necessary at all Donald, I was glad to be the one with an answer for a change. It feels good to be able to contribute to the learning process on the forum. Thank You for such kind words my friend.

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks, Carl, that certainly cracks it for Viveza, though sadly not for Sharpener (or Dfine, which isn't so bad)

Alan. It's not just the window size that bothers me, though bigger is certainly better. I get distracted by the other windows or wallpaper that I can see around the Nik window. Perhaps that's my problem

Real Name
    Dave

Nik window size - feeling stupid but happy

Well folks, the bad news is that I feel stupid but the good news is there is a simple answer.

All you have to do is to grab the Nik window and move it, say, to the top left. Then you can just resize it in the usual way by grabbing the bottom right hand corner, and dragging it out.

Now the really good news. Once you have done it, that becomes the default size whenever you open the plug-in. I've tried closing LR, even re-booting the computer and it is still there. (This is running under Windows 7, just for completeness, and LR4)

Dave

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Nik window size - feeling stupid but happy

Been there, done that, more that an once that stupid thing.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Dave

You started up a new thread to post what is Post #9 above. I thought it made sense that it should be part of this thread, as those reading it wouldn't have known the background otherwise, unless they happened upon this original thread (if you see what I mean).

So, the whole story is in here.
    Last edited by Donald; 29th August 2013 at 05:29 PM.

Real Name
    Dave

Fine - in my excitement at having found something I didn't want the good news to get lost

WOW, Thanks Dave I like your way better! Just finished setting mine up in LR. This is going to be so much easier and hassle free.

Real Name
    Robin

Sorted!

Dragging the window and resizing it works on the Mac too - Viveza now opens full sized.

Thanks.

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks, guys.

I can be a persistent little bugger when I can't sort some thing (my wife would say pig-headed), so if you are interested this is what I did.

Googled everything I could. Even found a cached copy of the discontinued user manuals, but not much success. However, one of my searches hit on "sizeable" on the Nik/Google home site so I went there and read, for one of the plug-ins (can't remember which) "fully re-sizeable". So I thought, right mate, either they are lying or I'm going to crack this. So I opened Sharpener, and minimised all the other windows so I could see what I was doing. My intention was to try pretty much every key and function combination, and I did try a few, but then I though "I wonder if I can move this window?" Once I found I could the rest was straightforward: they are regular windows but for some reason that I can't fathom they did not include the usual window controls.

A kind of blunderbuss approach to problem solving - not my usual way but it worked this time

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    A kind of blunderbuss approach to problem solving - not my usual way but it worked this time
    And very glad we are that it did!

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Well folks, the bad news is that I feel stupid but the good news is there is a simple answer.

All you have to do is to grab the Nik window and move it, say, to the top left. Then you can just resize it in the usual way... Once you have done it, that becomes the default size whenever you open the plug-in.

Dave
    I know this is a 6-year-old thread, but it I just found it and it solved a problem with Photoshop CC2018 on a Mac that has been vexing me for weeks. Thank you, Dave. Your good advice has a long life.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I know this is a 6-year-old thread, but it I just found it and it solved a problem with Photoshop CC2018 on a Mac that has been vexing me for weeks.
    Anyone know how to increase the window size of Sharpener and Viveza? (Double clicking on the border doesn't seem to do anything)
    For PS CC 2018 (and every other Windows program I know), only double clicking on the TOP border maximises from a smaller window size. That is much quicker than positioning and dragging size out to full screen.

If you have more than one screen, make sure the small window isn't spread across both of them (even a little bit) as that'll stop it working.

However, for Nik windows this trick doesn't work!
    Nor does it work with the ACR pop-up within PS.

That's life I guess,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 12th November 2017 at 09:00 PM.

Real Name
    Yes

and there is still no way to increase font size on high def screens - minute text on my 4k laptop screen.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    and there is still no way to increase font size on high def screens - minute text on my 4k laptop screen.
    But is that not the case on all software (e.g. Photoshop), or am I missing something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast