Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A little Infrared fun...

Real Name
    Kim Abbott

A little Infrared fun...

I've been dying to play with IR photography more and today I found that I had both good lighting, and a decent subject to work with.

These are the end result! I am not 100% happy, as there is a fair amount of noise and they are softer than I would like, but I am MUCH more pleased than I was with my past attempts at IR. I am just pleased to be on the right track, so I know what I need to work on.

As always, C&C is happily welcomed!

A little Infrared fun...

A little Infrared fun...

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: A little Infrared fun...

I like these images.

Bruce

Real Name
    J stands for John

I agree that you had something good to work with but IMO it went wrong from then on ...Is your camera converted to shoot IR or are you using a dark blue filter? I am aware that there is a firm offering IR conversions and one of the options are blue results such as you got but IMO this is quite wrong and IR sees no visible light so is properly rendered as black and white and tones between. I have been using a Wratten 87 equivalent and it produces the B&W result. You could correct things by applying greyscale tool and then darkening the image and adding contrast with a final sharpening.

But I could be completely wrong with my opinions This is how your picture could look like
    .A little Infrared fun...

Real Name
    Kim Abbott

I'm using an IR filter on an unmodified T3i. There are various ways to edit the images depending on the color/tone you want, so I was just messing around with the images. I think the color is fun, though I should have tweaked the blue saturation some. I don't usually like b&w conversion for IR photos, because in many cases there is little difference between a regular b&w conversion and an IR b&w conversion.