Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The View

Real Name
    Terri

The View

Out driving the countryside we found this old structure. Of course it was mid day and the sun was shining bright. I got this shot when the sun went behind a cloud because I preferred it, even though it's a bit flat, over the harsh bright sun. However, I would like to return there in the early morning light for another chance.

I'm wondering mostly how you feel about the composition of this shot. Does it bother you than I've lopped off part of the building? Does this do anything for you at all?

I framed it this way for a few reasons. First, I was trying to block out modern structures and utility lines. Second, I liked the idea of this old house, in it's time, all alone with this expansive view. Problem is, it's actually a barn with a cattle chute on the other end. Third, I liked that the top lines of the structure are somewhat mimicked by the lines of the mountains.

Feedback appreciated in case I get a chance to get back out one early morning. The second shot just shows the other end of the building and is just included for reference. Thanks!

The View

The View

And because I know some of you will suggest it - here is a monochrome version. I would prefer a little more contrast in tones between the shrubs and the logs but I rather like this version.

The View

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: The View

Terri, in all due respect the composition does not work for me.

Bruce

Real Name
    John

Yup, the composition isn't up to much but for me, it succeeds in one very important way. That's in the story telling. It tells us that at some time or another someone was able live with that glorious view. I wonder why they left?

Real Name
    Christina

I'd like to see the entire building in the composition and I think that it would be a beautiful photo with the entire building. The scenery is stunning and the building is interesting and tells a story. I like the composition and the way you framed the image with the building in the foreground.

PS I think it is a gorgeous photo but for some reason I'd prefer to see the entire building.
    Last edited by Brownbear; 25th August 2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: add comment

Real Name
    Kathy

I think it is a unique capture and very creative it's not the same ole mountain with a rustic building photo, you made it your own -- I like it, way to think out of the box.

Kathy

Real Name
    Steve

This one doesn't work for me either, terri. Sorry, just being honest.

Perhaps using an ultra wide angle lens, from the inside. Close to the broken window, showing the mountain view in the distance and some of the interior of the building.

It's a great view, there has to be an angle to shoot it from.

Real Name
    J stands for John

I wonder if this is something approaching what you were thinking of Terri ?
    The View
    I used an adjustment layer in PSP to darken and increase contrast, watching the timber.
    Then I used black paint brush on the AL to remove the effect of the AL to lighten first the bushes and then the beautifully muted background. Quite lovely that ...
    Finally I feel the grass in the foreground distracts and spoils the total so cropped up so the building acts as a dark support for the muted background.

I think what you are reading above is the difference between the selective photographer and the 'get it all in' kind. I think I would, I hope I would have if I had been in your shoes , like to have cropped from the right but shown the side of the building with a wide angle lens so the building tails away leading us to the background after we had finished looking at the left corner of the building. A crop from what you have would loose some of the background which would be a pity. 20/20 vision in the editor is wonderful

The second photo falls down that there are two things attracting attention at opposites sides of the picture and neither are strong enough to attract attention over the other. While you have depth to the background you really need depth between the photographer and the building which probably can only be achieved by you standing behind him or something along those lines.... or the reverse angle. Maybe something like this?
    The View
    Last edited by jcuknz; 26th August 2013 at 05:26 AM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The composition doesn't work for me, mostly because the window seems to be a featured element though not featured enough. There may be obstacles such as access to the building and having to work around the other buildings that are nearby that prevent you from trying other compositions. Otherwise, have another go at it!

You won't be surprised to learn that I like your black-and-white conversion. There is plenty of separation between the bushes and the logs, not because the tones are different but because the lines and texture are different.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    I liked the idea of this old house, in it's time, all alone with this expansive view. Problem is, it's actually a barn with a cattle chute on the other end.
    Terri, I think the b&w conversions goes further towards achieving this goal because by removing the colour from the background landscape more emphasis is placed on the wooden structure. In the colour version, the landscape appears as the main feature.

I'd try shooting the view through the window. Take a piece of rope or something and tie the bushes out of the way -- might need to take a shot of the window frame and then one of the landscape and then combine the two with layers. JMHO

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I am much impressed by the landscape behind the subject; do you have exclusive works of them?
    I like the photogrphy of the photographer; it has a story
    Regards

Real Name
    Terri

Thank you all for your honest feedback. No apologies necessary - that's why I put it out there - to gain reactions. I knew it was different than most would do.

Kathy, I'm glad you liked it.

Jcuknz, Thanks for your edits and explanation of what you did. I like the cropping of the grass. I would not have thought to put the building so close to the bottom but I think it works. Clever cutting of the second picture. I agree with you on it but it was one of those snaps while I was waiting at the car and only included here for reference.

Nandakumar, I do not have any of the landscape. I may try that if I can get back in better light. Unfortunately, my husband's health is forcing us back to Texas sooner than I thought so I may not get the chance for a while.

thank you all for your feedback. Always interesting to see everyone's take.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Terri.

I think I see what you saw in this image. I downloaded your image and did a simple increase in vibrance. Doing that made the yellow flowers, grass and bushes pop more, and my eye was not drawn to the window nearly as much. I like it. Give it a try and see what you think.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Nandakumar, I do not have any of the landscape. I may try that if I can get back in better light. Unfortunately, my husband's health is forcing us back to Texas sooner than I thought so I may not get the chance for a while.

Never mind the bloody landscape. It ain't going anywhere. Just get yourselves back to Texas. Hope your husband will be okay.
    Take care
    Cheers

Old Ucci

Real Name
    Christina

All my best wishes for your husband's health and a speedy recovery.