Thread: S. Queensferry harbour

Real Name
    David

S. Queensferry harbour

Asd the title says this is a shot looking across from South Quennsferry harbour towards the Rail Bridge. Shot on a Nikon D200 at 1/1500 at f 5.6 and converted to black and white on Lightroom. Comments appreciated and when able replied to.

S. Queensferry harbour

Real Name
    Greg

Re: S. Queensferry harbour

Hi David.
    Composition looks fine to me and the chain obviously create a great leading line towards the yacht and past to that awesome bridge.
    Maybe a little more contrast? and clone out the white pebble and black twig thingy in the centre of the image.
    Would love to visit there one day and photograph that bridge.
    Cheers, Greg

Real Name
    Dave

As Greg says, it is a most well composed scene.

The narrow depth of focus is very obvious. If that is what you intended, then fine of course. For me, I find the blurring distracting, and would have chosen a smaller aperture (you've got plenty of ISO in hand)

Thanks for posting.

Dave

Real Name
    Allen Conway

Well, I can't see anything that's in focus that I want to see. As such I really don't understand what the point of this photo is, unless it's to tell me to change my glasses.

Real Name
    Steve

I think the large chain makes for a great subject, and also leads you through the image. The only thing I don't like, is the begining bits of the chain are out of focus. I think it would be a much better image if the entire foreground was in sharp focus.

Real Name
    Sharon

Totally agree with Steve's post.

Real Name
    John

A good idea David but it needs something stronger at the point of focus to make it work. There isn't enough to hold the eye and with the BG OOF you need something to arrest your attention.

Real Name
    David

Thanks to alkl for the comments, yet again every day is as school day. Trying a different view/idea of a well photographed landmark.

Well back to the drawing board

Real Name
    Nandakumar

i am sorry to say that this image lacks a strong point of interest...the leading line formed by the chain takes eyes no where.....

Real Name
    James Edwards

David, this is an interesting image which I think could be really good on a reshoot, but you need to plan how to refocus (excuse the pun), where you want to centre the shot.

From a purely personal point of view :-
    1) Sticking with the current aspect,(position & view), I'd agree with Steve that the foreground needs to be stronger with more focus and I would also look to increase the impact of the boat.
    2) I would probably also consider a wider, more contrasty, landscape, retaining the general position in respect of the chains, depending on the 'interest' created to the right by the increased span of the bridge.

Definitely worth another visit I'd say.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Dovrob View Post
    Thanks to alkl for the comments, yet again every day is as school day. Trying a different view/idea of a well photographed landmark.
    David i totally get where you are with this..it is one of my local landmarks along with the Falkirk Wheel and it is really tough to pull a unique shot out of the bag when there are so many shots of it out there. The focus on the chain was a great idea and with a few tweaks you could have made a very good ( and unique ) shot.

Back to the drawing board maybe..but I am sure you will take the comments here on board and come up with a blinder!

Real Name
    David

Sharon,
    I came on here to learn and sometimes it's going to be painful, but if that's what it takes .
    I've never been one for giving up, but thanks , the wee boost I need.

James,
    some interesting comments there, which I'll take on board whern I hopefully return to the village.

Real Name
    Sharon

Oh I have boot marks aplenty on my behind..but I take better pics because of them!

Real Name
    John

Hi David,
    Keep at it mate; great idea and so nearly there.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers
    John

Real Name
    David

S. Queensferry harbour

A shot I took at the same time at f11. Chain still not fullfilling its job of leading the eye to the bridge, but comments invited.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Dovrob View Post

Well back to the drawing board
    Nothing wrong with reworking the same subject, unless you can't get back there.

Real Name
    Dave

For me, that is more pleasing. What I found really distracting in the first image was that only the middle bit of the chain was in focus, and that was a reason it didn't do it's job of leading

Dave

Real Name
    James Edwards

David, not sure I agree with you. I like the panoramic aspect of this and the chain combined with the span of the bridge to the right, draws the eye nicely back into the image.

Perversely though, when I look at it at A3 (on screen), I'm now distracted by the lack of sharp focus on the Bridge. Maybe some selective sharpening to the Bridge would resolve.

I still think there's a very good image to be got though.

Real Name
    David

Thanks, Luckily I stay quite near to the Bridge and so am able to revisit it. I was down there today, taking more photos- with a larger depth of field.
    Look out for the new thread of photos

Real Name
    Ian

David,

I am with James on this and find the bridge is now distracting with its out of focus/movement appearance. I am puzzled why the bridge, the one thing that should in theory be static, appears to be moving.....it sure must have been windy!

I appreciate that you are trying to create something totally different, but perhaps you are heading in the wrong direction now?