Real Name
    Travis

Cascha the Sheltie

Cascha the Sheltie

Cascha the Sheltie

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Cascha the Sheltie

I particularly like the 2nd one, Travis. I think it captures the intelligence in her eyes.

Real Name
    Richard

Lovely shots of a beautiful dog. I think that I also like #2 the best but, I wondered what #1 might be like with a bit cropped off the left side of he image...

I hope you don't mind but, I did a crop. I also darkened the image a TAD and placed a border around it.

I normally use a black border but. in this case, the black border accentuated the blown highlights but, IMO, the white border seems to take my notice away from those highlights.

Cascha the Sheltie

Somehow, it seems to me, a white border gives the impression of darkening the image while a black border gives the impression of lightening the tones of an image... I may be wrong but, that is my perception...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 24th August 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Travis,

Cascha looks to be a lovely dog and I like these compositions.

Can I ask if you're shooting jpg with your 6D?

I ask because the highlights are blown and I don't think they would be this clipped if you shot and processed from RAW?

Of course, the real issue is to keep a better grip on your exposures when shooting - but I do appreciate sometimes the moment occurs before we're fully prepared and I have a heap of over and under exposed pet shots myself to prove this

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Richard

I tried again this using the "Brighten Center" filter of NIK Software, Color Efex Pro. This is something like a vignette but, far more subtle. I tried a vignette and did not like it...

Cascha the Sheltie

Real Name
    Travis

Thanks Richard, the crop and vignette work well for this image.
    Dave, I did have the camera set for JPG and didn't have any time to adjust exposure before shooting as my dogs are always moving.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I tried again this using the "Brighten Center" filter of NIK Software, Color Efex Pro. This is something like a vignette but, far more subtle. I tried a vignette and did not like it...

Cascha the Sheltie
    Very nice job, Richard.

Bruce

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by travis4567 View Post
    Thanks Richard, the crop and vignette work well for this image.
    Dave, I did have the camera set for JPG and didn't have any time to adjust exposure before shooting as my dogs are always moving.
    I usually shoot in RAW but, even when I shot in JPEG, I would/will leave the camera set up in the Programmed exposure mode, even though I usually shot/shoot in Aperture Priority. My rationale for returning the camera to the "P" mode after a shoot is that if I pick up the camera for a quick shot, I will have a better opportunity of achieving usable exposure in the Programmed mode. My 7D gives very nice quality even at ISO 320 so I will have that ISO selected. My rationale for that is ISO 320 is high enough to shoot in subdued light but not too high for a decent image under brighter conditions...

This is, of course, for grab shots when I am concentrating on the shot, not on the camera settings...

The several (3) user selected modes of the 7D allow me to always have the camera set up this way when I stop shooting and then to switch to my usual mode (aperture priority and ISO 160 for bright conditions) with a turn of the mode dial. I also have a user selected mode set up for moving subjects (ISO 320, Servo AF, center point focus and burst mode) and another user selected mode set up with auto exposure bracketing for HDR shooting...

Oh how I love those three user selected modes. That capability is like carrying three or four cameras. I can switch shooting parameters with a simple turn of a single dial...