Thread: Lancaster bomber

Real Name
    Paul

Lancaster bomber

Lancaster bomber at a local air show. a little bit more blur on the propeller would of been nice.
    c&c welcome

Lancaster bomber

Lancaster bomber

Real Name
    Allan Short

re: Lancaster bomber

Paul with that watermark you totally ruined any positive comment for me. we have the other only flying Lance in Hamilton, Ontario.

Allan

Real Name
    Bruce

Nice photos; however I found your watermark to be distracting.

Bruce

Real Name
    Greg

If you click on the image to view at full screen, the watermark looks brilliant
    The plane looks great too

Real Name
    Paul

these images were used by another site without my consent. but i thought i would still share them on here

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    these images were used by another site without my consent. but i thought i would still share them on here
    Paul,

I know how you're probably feeling, but my attitude (having had exactly the same thing happen to me) is - in the context of all that's going on in the world right now - my thoughts are SO WHAT? Yes it's illegal - yes it's irritating - yes, you're right, it shouldn't happen - but - unfortunately it does happen, so "what to do about it"?

As I see it - they've used them because they were nice images - they probably didn't take any money out of your pocket in doing what they did (please correct me if I'm wrong) - and usually they don't put any money in their pockets because of them either. In contrast - in order to stop this happening again, you've put a stop to it by totally ruining the images for EVERYONE - and that just doesn't seem like a good solution to me.

And as much as I sympathise with you, in my mind, that's just using a sledge hammer to crack open a nut.

Please don't take offence to that - I say all of it as someone who's been in exactly the same situation.

Real Name
    Paul

Lancaster bomber

Lancaster bomber

Real Name
    Bruce

Much better.

Bruce

Real Name
    Philip

That's better - I like these images, especially the second one.

Philip

Real Name
    Greg

Really good Paul.
    I can't pick a favourite. The second image has a little more prop blur which I like and I love the angle of the first image in the frame.
    Very nice work .

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Great stuff.

My Dad flew on the Stirlings (similar aircraft as I understand it) as radio operator during the war, and I read a book written by Max Lambert titled "Night After Night" where he says that whilst many ground troops were involved in periods of ferrocious battle but also long periods of inactivity, bomber command flew over occupied Germany night after night and ultimately, 1/3 of them never returned.

Very sobering thought in my opinion. Whilst going through my (now deceased) parents effects, I found this (my Dad's aircraft) -- the chap isn't my Dad (he's the pilot, whom I met once).

In my opinion, the history that photos like this document is the very essence of photography.

Lancaster bomber

Lancaster bomber

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Great stuff.

My Dad flew on the Stirlings (similar aircraft as I understand it) as radio operator during the war, and I read a book written by Max Lambert titled "Night After Night" where he says that whilst many ground troops were involved in periods of ferrocious battle but also long periods of inactivity, bomber command flew over occupied Germany night after night and ultimately, 1/3 of them never returned.

Very sobering thought in my opinion. Whilst going through my (now deceased) parents effects, I found this (my Dad's aircraft) -- the chap isn't my Dad (he's the pilot, whom I met once).

In my opinion, the history that photos like this document is the very essence of photography.

Lancaster bomber

Lancaster bomber
    A photograph captures a moment of time.

Bruce

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Paul,

Yeah I like 'em too - and being due to attend an air show tomorrow myself (at Dunsfold, south of Guildford, UK), I thought I'd investigate this aspect:

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy
    ~ a little bit more blur on the propeller would of been nice ~
    Quote Originally Posted by gregj1763 View Post
    ~ The second image has a little more prop blur which I like ~
    The first shot is 1/500s and the second 1/320s - so now I know what to aim for; somewhere between 1/200s and 1/500s with the props - what works best probably depends a few other factors; plane/prop type, number of blades/diameter, prop/plane speed (idle or diving under power), etc.

Thanks for posting without watermark and with EXIF data.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    .... somewhere between 1/200s and 1/500s with the props - what works best probably depends a few other factors; plane/prop type, number of blades/diameter, prop/plane speed (idle or diving under power), etc.
    I have found that the props look too static at anything over about 1/250 Dave.

Real Name
    Paul

Paul,

Beautiful images of the Lancaster, my favorite British bomber. The only thing missing is the sweet sound of those Merlins.

Colin,

It's wonderful you have your Dad's logbook of missions. Bomber crews had higher causalities than ground forces. My uncle was a flight engineer on a US Army Air Force B-24 in the Pacific 1943-45 (he survived). I was too young to ever talk to him about his experiences. My Mom has some of his letters and newspaper clippings.

Paul S

Real Name
    Ian

Re: Lancaster bomber

Dave,

I just hope the weather brightens up and the rain stops or the plane will need to be very low to get anything decent!