f2.8, 1/125th, ISO1600, -1/3EV

Colour

The stare

and B&W conversion

The stare

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: The stare

OK Phil, you didn't specifically tell us but according to the Exif, this was taken with that cute little Fuji !

Is this your first post here with the new toy ? Anyway, it looks good, right up there with Mr Arias and Mr Hobby. What was the lighting situation ?

Oh and by the way, that camera looks so good !

Dave

Real Name
    Phil Page

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    OK Phil, you didn't specifically tell us but according to the Exif, this was taken with that cute little Fuji !

Is this your first post here with the new toy ? Anyway, it looks good, right up there with Mr Arias and Mr Hobby. What was the lighting situation ?

Oh and by the way, that camera looks so good !

Dave
    Yes, this is X100S. I shot in ambient light all walk - no strobes - mainly shooting at ISO6400 but occasionally down towards ISO1000 when the shop lighting co-operated with scenes.

Colour is out of camera .jpg, black and white is a Silver Efex conversion.

I'm only shooting in .jpg at present, and with in camera Noise Reduction set to -1 to avoid plasticky in camera skin tones in low light. So far so good

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    Yes, this is X100S. I shot in ambient light all walk - no strobes - mainly shooting at ISO6400 but occasionally down towards ISO1000 when the shop lighting co-operated with scenes.

Colour is out of camera .jpg, black and white is a Silver Efex conversion.

I'm only shooting in .jpg at present, and with in camera Noise Reduction set to -1 to avoid plasticky in camera skin tones in low light. So far so good
    Phil I'm not sure what a Noise Reduction setting of -1 means exactly, but presumably there is little or no noise reduction ? Noise performance on this image looks pretty darned good for ISO 1600 on an APS-C size sensor.

Dave

Real Name
    John

Very nice.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Phil I'm not sure what a Noise Reduction setting of -1 means exactly, but presumably there is little or no noise reduction ? Noise performance on this image looks pretty darned good for ISO 1600 on an APS-C size sensor.

Dave
    I'm shooting in .jpg for a couple of reasons:

Write speed - I haven't got a fast enough SD card for shooting RAW or RAW+JPG. Shooting high quality JPG is no problem with the media I've got though.

RAW processing - I haven't got a compatible RAW convertor yet

JPG - in camera JPG's a supposed, from plenty of reviews, to be great. So I'm running with them at the moment.

In camera Noise reduction is therefore something that comes into play with JPGs. Default is 0 and it runs from +2 to -2 (which I presume is virtually off). I want to avoid overly aggressive and tend to take the consensus of reviewers rather than exhaustively testing myself. It's not something I usually worry about because I deal with noise as part of my RAW conversion workflow. 0 looks as if it's a bit too aggressive for my tastes.

Real Name
    Carl Rice

In case You need a nice free raw convertor go for Stepok. I have tried it and tech results have been satisfactory. Give it a try sometimes.
    round rug