Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Anyone shoot a Tamron 150mm-500mm?

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Anyone shoot a Tamron 150mm-500mm?

I am thinking of getting a long range zoom lens and I am, as usual, shopping on a budget. Local shop in Lubbock said that if I am shooting in good light the 150mm-500mm is a good choice. Anybody have one of these and do you think it is worth the investment. It would save me about $3000 to $3,500 for the Canon 100mm-400mm F4L.

KHarmon

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Re: Anyone shoot a Tamron 150mm-500mm?

Hi Kris,

If you can save up to afford the Canon lens, rather do that. Budget lenses seem to be "disappointing get what you pay for lenses".

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

So far as I know, Tamron does not make a 150-500mm lens; Sigma does (and we own one and based on our experience; onboard failures of the focusing motor and autofocus electronics, twice within 6 months of buying the lens); we would have problems recommending this lens.

Tamron makes a 200-500mm; but it is not stabilized, so for me, a non-starter given the focal length of this lens.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    So far as I know, Tamron does not make a 150-500mm lens; Sigma does (and we own one and based on our experience; onboard failures of the focusing motor and autofocus electronics, twice within 6 months of buying the lens); we would have problems recommending this lens.

Tamron makes a 200-500mm; but it is not stabilized, so for me, a non-starter given the focal length of this lens.
    The Tamron 200-500 is a fine lens, and the fact that it doesn't have VR isn't to me a major problem.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by chrisletts View Post
    The Tamron 200-500 is a fine lens, and the fact that it doesn't have VR isn't to me a major problem.
    I think it depends on what and how you are shooting.

I shot a slow f/6.8 400 Leitz Telyt for years, but could only hand-hold it well enough with the gun stock type support it came with, and even there, the number of blown shots due to camera movement were quite high.

I have both the Nikkor 80-400mm (the first generation one) and the Sigma 150-500mm, and have tried them with and without stabilization turned on and certainly when shooting hand held, I find using stabilzation really makes a noticeable difference. If I were using a tripod, monopod or other support, I might feel different, but these are not really suitable for the type of shots I use the lenses for.

Real Name
    Lex

Quote Originally Posted by chrisletts View Post
    Some explanation would be beneficial with statements like this. Personally, I don't see a reason not to have an image stabilizing system in lenses above 100mm (or possibly lower). My dad uses a EF-S 75-300mm f3.5-5.6 USM, and my sister has a newer EF-S 75-300mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM. The latter is dramatically superior. I strongly advise against getting a telephoto without IS. It will make your long-lens game much stronger.

...Said the guy who owns and loves an EF 100mm f2.0 USM.

I use the Sigma 150-500 and it has been a good lens for me. An economical way to get to 500 mm but still have a zoom function.

It is heavy and the auto focus is rather slow. But otherwise OK. The stabilisation is surprisingly effective, even when handheld at 500 mm; although any lens this big tends to be best on a tripod.

There were some production problems with a few batches of this lens but that seems to have been overcome now.

I suppose another alternative, but losing zoom, is the 400 mm prime lens plus a 1.4 x converter which is a set up favoured by some bird photographers.

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

You guys are right....it is a Sigma. I had been looking at Tamron right before this post so I guess it was stuck in my head.