Thread: Lucky Anna

Real Name
    Richard

Lucky Anna

I got to pick-up Anna (a one year old Maltese-Poodle cross) literally one hour before the shelter was going to put her down. She was really scruffy looking and smelled worse than she looked...

Lucky Anna

Lucky Anna

However, she cleaned up well and is a loving and house trained dog waiting for adoption. She is wearing the sweaters because she had virtually all of her coat cut off because of matts, tangles, fleas, ticks and other nasty things.

Lucky Anna

Lucky Anna

Lucky Anna

We have a cadre of volunteers who scour the local shelters to help us rescue dogs who are in danger of being euthanized. Shelters also know us by now and will often call us to rescue dogs like Lucky Anna. I got to the shelter (about 70 miles from my home) after a speed run, an hour before she was scheduled to be put down. My wife and I drove 11,000 miles (about 17,800 km) in support of our rescue dogs last year and I am sure we will exceed that in 2013...

The problem with long haired dogs like Anna in shelters is that they often arrive at the shelter with no coat care having been given them and their stay in the shelter just compounds their looks and odor. Prospective adopters cannot look beneath that filthy coat to see the diamond in the rough!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 19th August 2013 at 10:23 PM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Lucky Anna

Nice photographs with a nice story.

Bruce

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

I really appreciate what you do for these dogs. Great photos. Looks like an entirely different pup from the time she was taken out of the shelter. TLC goes a long way.

KHarmon

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by KHarmon View Post
    I really appreciate what you do for these dogs. Great photos. Looks like an entirely different pup from the time she was taken out of the shelter. TLC goes a long way.

KHarmon
    She looks a lot more confident and proud now! That's all many dogs need to give them a fighting chance for life. Right now as I type this, I look around at four dogs who would be dead if we had not had been fortunate enough to be able to rescue them. They were all within a day of being euthanized...

Presently we have One foster Labradoodle and five foster Maltese and Maltese-mix dogs sharing our home (along with our own Maltese and our Goldendoodle). We are fortunate to have a large home that is set up entirely for dogs. Our dogs are not kept in any sort of pen unless it is because their movement needs to be restricted because of surgeries of some type. Our entire house has tile floors and it is surprising how quickly even untrained dogs learn house training when they have a pack to follow. Of course, we make sure that they all go out in the yard every hour or so. Our home is spotless despite the number of dogs we cycle though it. We use a Hoover Floor Mate electric floor cleaner that really helps us keep our floors sparkling clean. One thing in our favor though, the Maltese don't shed and unless they are kept in filthy conditions like Lucky Anna was before she arrived at our home, they don't have any odor at all. Doodles are also dogs that shed very little and don't seem to have a doggy odor.

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

My family has had two Welsh Corgi's in the past. They are amazing dogs and the one that is still alive was my moms constant companion until she passed away. Great thing about Corgi's is that they only shed twice a year. The first is January through June and then July through December. My sister currently has a Maltese mixed with something that we are not quite sure of. She is a great dog and has been by my sisters side since long before she was diagnosed with cancer.

My current buddy is a 5 year old basset hound. I have tried numerous times to get a picture of him but he is extremely gun shy and every time he see's the camera he tucks tail and hides. Maybe someday I will get lucky and catch him slipping long enough to get him with my camera.

Real Name
    Christina

Beautiful images, as always... And yes, what you do is truly appreciated!

Real Name
    Trace

I think the second outfit complements her colouring and eyes best As always, great photos and a cause that is close to my heart. I especially like that last photo; she looks proud and beautiful. Hope Anna finds a loving home soon.