Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: What Photo goodies did YOU get for Christmas?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

What Photo goodies did YOU get for Christmas?

Hi all,

I thought this might be an interesting idea for a thread, so I'll kick it off, in a small way.

Firstly, given the timing; may I wish a Happy New Year to all Cambridge in Colour members everywhere, even though it may be past for nearly half of you by now

I received one of those double bean bags to fit over a car door/window, to rest the lens on.
    And a couple of magazines to read.

Just need to get out and use the car as a hide now

Perhaps I should have called the thread "Happy New Gear?"

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 31st December 2009 at 09:49 PM.

Re: What Photo goodies did YOU get for Christmas?

Santa didn't know which lens so he left me money instead. My Nikon AFS 35mm 1.8 arrives on Monday.

Real Name
    Pops

As we have continued the tradition that the adults don't get gifts for Christmass, I got nothing. (We, instead, buy for one of the kids/grandkids/greatgrandkids and call that a good Christmass.)

I am looking for a 50mm lens faster than f:4 for my Nikons. AF D would work on all of them from the FG-20 to the D40. I have the 28mm f:1.4, but, I'm getting tired of raiding SheriLou's case when I want it.

Pops

Real Name
    Steve

I replaced my 28-80mm crap lens I bought after I thought everything Canon did was good; I researched the camera to death and deliberately bought one out of production, especially since the web site said not for amateurs because that made it cheaper,but not the lens. Now I have got the cheap as chips 50mm f1.8 which is as good as an L-type on my cropped camera, for the f-range I will use.

Real Name
    Jack

Black rapid strap
    Coming soon, so I'm told, I think, I've been good....

Hey Pops, the 50mm 1.8 D will only manual focus on the D40.

i got a 17-40 F4L and a canon speedlite 430 ex ii

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The Tokina 11-16 f2.8 arrived yesterday (after I had to go to the parcel delivery office and pick it up myself!!!!). However, dear Father Christmas brought Michael Freeman's 'The Complete Guide to Black & White Digital Photography', which is sitting in front of me as I type this ... and giving me so much more to think about and wrestle with. Who said this was meant to be a fun activity!?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    The Tokina 11-16 f2.8 arrived yesterday (after I had to go to the parcel delivery office and pick it up myself!!!!). However, dear Father Christmas brought Michael Freeman's 'The Complete Guide to Black & White Digital Photography', which is sitting in front of me as I type this ... and giving me so much more to think about and wrestle with. Who said this was meant to be a fun activity!?
    That's alright; you read it and post your photo's here and I'll ask you how you did it.

Real Name
    Jan Diepeveen

The book " De digitale fotografie bijbel" this is the dutch translated version of "Mastering digital Photography" by Michael Freeman and a Canon speedlite 430EX II. The 430EX is replacing my Metz 36AF which is blown up, by taking to many shots after each other. I was trying to freeze a waterdrop falling in a bowl. Luckely the 430EX has a build in protection for overheating

Real Name
    Malcolm

Santa brought me a Canon PowerShot S90 to use when my larger Nikon is to large to carry around with me. I have a small camera case to attach to my belt to make it simple to carry my S90 where I may not have a camera to use otherwise. I like to "Keep it simple"

Real Name
    Steve

I agree with arith, it is much easier to let donald read the book and just ask here . My christmas present was a canon 35mm L (perfect indoor focal length on a crop camera). Very usable at f/1.4 (a little soft but), but you have to watch shooting towards any lights at that f stop.

Santa was kind this year. A light box with lamps, a light stand with brolley, a 10ft ETTL cable and a new Blackberry Bold.

Steve

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Well, I treated myself to a Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared head. I've been after one of these for ages but hadn't the spare cash. Also on a whim the Mrs got me a neutral density filter. Bless her!

Happy new year you lot! I'll try and get back here a bit more but I'm spread a bit thin at the minute.

Real Name
    Pete

Happy New Gear, people!

Santa came a bit early with a D90 and kit lens, new super fast computer and a 22"HD monitor so I can really notice all the mistakes in my photos!

Needless to say, after that we couldn't afford give the kids anything ...just kidding

Donald, have you read that book yet??? Come on, everyone is waiting for you!

Real Name
    Peter

Happy new year everyone

Santa was very good to me, he struggled down our chimney with a Fuji GX680 complete with 60mm, 135mm and 160mm lenses, polaroid and film backs and 'We English' by Simon Roberts, a superb book which will inspire me for at least the next 12 months

Peter

430EX has a build in protection for overheating
    Yep it becomes comatose. If this happens leave for 20 minutes and all should be well. I got really worried the first time this happened after a series of fast bursts at water drops.I changed the batteries twice thinking that was the problem

Steve

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Donald, have you read that book yet??? Come on, everyone is waiting for you!
    Reading would take too much effort today. Last night's New Year celebrations went on for quite a while ... with lots and lots of wine!!