Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Macro Trys

Real Name
    Claudio

Macro Trys

Hi all..took one or 2 images today..and putting a few up to get a little c+c..all help ppreciated..especially on how to get sharper images!! Luc has been very helpful with advice...but Luc..if you reading.. i understand using a tripod is essential...but do you just set up and wait? Or how does one go about it?...All these images are hand held here except the flower.

Macro Trys

Macro Trys

This one isnt sharp enuff for me..it was a little windy today...could it be that?
    Macro Trys

This last one is just a quick flower image..but i put it on just incase Luc might take a look..If you do Luc..you can see what my diffuser has done on the droplets..is that acceptable?

Macro Trys

Real Name
    pinaki

Re: Macro Trys

Claudio, your 2nd pic is just great.If you have taken those handheld then you have done a great job.The flower is not sharp due to diffuser.What did you want from a diffuser?

Real Name
    Luc

The 2 first shot are very nice for handheld, good stable hand you have. they seems to have been done on auto focus which got the focus point off the eye in the first, the second is spot on. The third one is blur the tripod would've help. The fourth is all right, the effect of the diffuser does not bother me that much, But I would've use a tripod and use the natural light.

but do you just set up and wait?
    Food attract a lot, ex: Frog eggs for ant
    Macro Trys

Real Name
    Claudio

Hi Pinaki..no sorry.. the flower is not sharp because it was a pretty windy day..Here in South africa this is our windy month (I KNOW!!bad time to buy a new macro lens!! ) i actually put it there because i asked Luc about flashes and stuff.. but im using my pop up flash with a home made diffuser that goes from the flash..to above the lens..thats why in droplets u see that flash..are those flash "lights" ok? im embaressed to send an image of my home made diffuser ...but i"ll put it on in few minutes

Real Name
    Claudio

Hi Luc..frog eggs !! great idea ... nah..they all manual..i set a distance and then slightly move back and forth...so i roughly learn distance i need to start with and sort of.."swing".. its a little easier when u on your knees.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

This advice is going to drive the purists out there up the wall but...cheat...it's just a bug.
    Capture and put it in the fridge for awhile, that'll slow him down while you set-up.
    Gently put the anesthetized creature wherever and before he flies away, quickly take your shots.
    A dab of honey will cause them to hang around a bit longer.

Real Name
    Claudio

ok..this is just a quick cell phone shot of my home made pop upflash diffuser..and its great if my lens or body is in the way if im shooting hand held,also pushes up shutter speed quite a bit..which..according to all of you..i'll be changing to tripod now

Dont laugh pple..it works and it cost me like R50 to make..thats what? about 4dollars?

Macro Trys

so,,the part on left pops on pop up flash..and other end sits above lens.. shades bug..lights up..and bang

the little piece on far left is just stretchy tape(Scientific name) that easily hooks over the eye piece so the whole things sits perfectly

Real Name
    Grahame

Hi Claudio,

I'm not sure it's worth me critiquing these images because I'm certain you know what you have achieved and where if needed they need improvement.

No 2 image clearly demonstrates what both your gear and technique are capable of and you should be proud of having achieved this in the short time. Unfortunately, it now gives you a 'standard' that you are going to have to try and maintain

You will find that everyone is going to give advice on their own preferred techniques, all of which are extremely valuable but it's the results that count. Some will say a tripod is essential BUT I follow the work of one macro shooter that produces images as your No 2 that he has taken hand held and stacked 5 frames, amazing.

So here's a simple tip for today regarding diffusers when taking shots indoors, very good ones can be made from a sheet of A4 copy paper and even be made variable by doubling up the number of sheets. Copy paper also has a use as reflectors.

P.S. Your home made diffuser is great as it works but your cell phone picture is rubbish,

Real Name
    Steven

like what Grahame said, finally it's the photo regardless what gear you use or don't use. My advice about tripods ... since you are doing so well hand held ... discard it as they slow you down and before you know it the bug has flown away. There are many situations you can't even set up a tripod.

BTW, great images.

Real Name
    Claudio

Thanks for the great advice Graham. You're spot on. Advice is great but each person needs to find there own comfort zone. I was really wanting to put my cellphone pic in the mini competition .

Real Name
    Claudio

Thank you Steven. I gotta say.. i do feel comfortable hand held...but i plan to have tripod with me in early mornings when they still a bit cold. Thank you again.