Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Colour Palette

Colour Palette

Ok I know I am sad posting on New Years Eve but Mrs W is working and I have a streaming cold. So I am baby sitting my son and making sure my youngest daughter and her friends do not drink to much....do I sound like my Mum or what?

Colour Palette

Colour Palette

Colour Palette

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Colour Palette

I was working Christmas Eve once when I was a student. I wanted to finish a program but it got killed by the staff who corrupted it with a big message; 'It's christmas'.

I can't make my mind up which I like the most but I like all of them more than the first. Happy New Year

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

I think these are interesting images. An example of the fact that there are photo targets all around us if we look for them. Good use of an otherwise down day for you. I'm keeping my antivirus on as I scan your posts as I don't need your cold.

Chuck

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Brilliant. 3rd one doesn't work as well for me. Don't know why.

Real Name
    Pete

All great of course! I actually like the first...the bright daylight streaming through the studio window look to it. Makes me feel happy and creative in anticipation of generating a masterpiece...that must be the artist in me

Hmmm...I was thinking exactly that. Maybe the black empty backround extreem right? But geeze, we're getting picky now aren't we?

Nice work, you are making me look like an arm chair photographer!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    But the lovely thing about it Hans, is the learning opportunities it provides. I can never 'see' the sort of things that Steve sees, but looking at what he does - the compositions, the shapes - is inspiring. Just one of the other big plus points of what happens on this site.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Because the axis of sharpeness is at odds with the axis of the image.
    i.e. The sharness runs top to bottom on a landscape oriented image.

At least; that's my psycho-babble answer

I like #1 best; more interesting lighting, or so I think - why's that?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    But the lovely thing about it Hans, is the learning opportunities it provides. I can never 'see' the sort of things that Steve sees, but looking at what he does - the compositions, the shapes - is inspiring. Just one of the other big plus points of what happens on this site.
    I quite agree, I think I am beginning to 'see' photo opps everywhere.
    Just got to overcome the lethagy now

I believe my 'eye' developed (excuse the pun) by hanging around here and viewing and analysing other's work.
    So perhaps an answer (not the only one) is to be more active in critique, as it helps build the 'eye'.

Yes, Hans; armchair photographer is where I'm most comfortable

Cheers,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    So perhaps an answer (not the only one) is to be more active in critique, as it helps build the 'eye'.Cheers,
    Definitely. You learn to look much closer and ask why you think something works or doesn't. Hopefully both parties (the photographer and the critic) then both learn from the activity. I know that it's wonderful to receive C & C on images that I post. It brings a fresh perspective.

Many thanks for all the feedback. Very encouraging as usual. I can't believe I have had my DSLR for nearly 9 moths now...I guess I am about due to give birth to the big one...I wouldn't hold your breath though, todays inspiration consisted of ironing, mending the radiator on one of the cars and repairing the heater intake with gaffer tape

On examining these images again I can see a problem that nobody has mentioned yet (although Hans has picked up on the result); The light in the first image is much more natural looking. The reason is obvious now. The first image took most of its light from a flash almost level with the palette and drowned out the tungsten ceiling light. For the other 2 the flash was dialed down and held further away, thus giving the ceiling light head and resulting in an unnatural light.
    Because the axis of sharpeness is at odds with the axis of the image.
    i.e. The sharness runs top to bottom on a landscape oriented image.
    Well spotted Dave. I can see this clearly now. Another useful tidbit to store in my untidy dusty attic of a brain.

The armchair is good place to be for stimulating inspiration. Tramping around the countryside looking for 'The Grail Shot' soon wore thin with me. I used to do that with my film camera and got so frustrated I gave it up. Now I let the image form in my head, then find the location or object that fits the thought process. Much easier. Although I still get inspiration from being out and about that inspiration does not often lead to an on the spot shutter release.

Donald, apart from the lighting tone (which can be rectified) and Dave's observation I actually agree. I personally like No3 best. Although I do feel the need to take the cropping scissors to the right hand side.

is to be more active in critique, as it helps build the 'eye'.
    Excellent point Dave. I for one have become far too lazy in that respect. I looked at the Does Colour Work with BW' thread today and thought the image far to complicated to take apart and analyse properly and was tempted to make exactly that comment. That would not be helpful at all.

Steve

Steve