Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Out Here in the Fields

Real Name
    Arlen

Out Here in the Fields

In the recent thread "Does where you live affect your photography?", I mentioned that it's possible to become jaded over time even in a great place like Oregon. On the other hand, one of the nice things about this state is its widely varied terrain and environment. I can leave the lush valleys and rain forests of western Oregon, drive over the Cascades and in an hour and a half be in a strikingly different place. Central Oregon is much drier and sparsely populated. On the day this image was captured, I was taking pictures in the opposite direction, when I turned around and saw this scene. It's always good to check over your shoulder once in a while!

As per usual, your thoughts are more than welcome.

Out Here in the Fields

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Out Here in the Fields

Beautiful colours in this shot, Arlen.

There might be a little too much foreground on this side of the fence. I wonder if the image would be better if you cropped some from the bottom so that the diagonal line of the fence started in the bottom right hand corner?

Real Name
    Dan

I love the colors and the interesting sky. I had a similar thought about the FG as well as maybe moving the buildings off center. The right side of the frame really adds nothing to the image IMO. A crop about half way between the two posts on the right side and a bit off the bottom might be worth looking at.

We used to live in western WA back in the 90s and drove over to Bend for skiing in winter and biking in summer. It always amazed me how quickly the terrain and vegetation changed as soon as you crossed the summit of the pass over the Cascades.

Real Name
    Christina

Arlen, I think that is a very beautiful image... the crop suggestions look good to me when I move your photo around.

Real Name
    Arlen

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback, Greg, Dan and Christina. Much appreciated. And Dan, yes the transition when going over the Cascades is stunning and dramatic. I'm struck by it every time I cross over.

I considered different framing options in the field and during processing, particularly cropping at the bottom, and your suggestions all result in appealing versions. There were reasons that I settled on the one above, but I'm interested in determining the consensus opinion, if there is one. So let's take a look at two crops adjusted to the same long-side length, as they would be if printed and framed at approximately the same size. The first one below is cropped just at the bottom, and the second additionally cropped at the right. I will note that in the original version the red barn is not in the center; but of course it is (intentionally) also not in the standard golden third position.

Clicking to put them in the Lite Box and then using the arrow keys to cycle between them is probably the best way to compare.

Out Here in the Fields

Out Here in the Fields

Real Name
    Christina

I prefer the original and #2.

Real Name
    John

Very clean looking shot. I like it.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I prefer the first crop (That is number two in the series). Gives a better feel of the landscape with the sweep of the prairie with the buildings slightly dwarfed by the open sky and fields. Captures the essence of the prairie better.

The foreground doesn't bother me. May be a reflection of the fact this looks like home and I am expect the grassy verges of the road before the fields begin.
    Last edited by tbob; 17th August 2013 at 05:05 PM.

Real Name
    Bruce

I like the 1st one- the wider version of the photo.

Bruce

I like the first photo in the second set you posted. I feel like I am seeing the whole scene. The other feels chopped to me. Is there a lake at the back of that shot? if so what lake?
    It is so true Arlen. I live in the Rogue Valley, the Southern end of Oregon... Its a beautiful area... but I have been in quite a funk for a few months.... we will be heading West to the coast for a whole wonderful week.. I am so looking forward to the scenery change and hope it gets the shutterbug in me excited again...

Real Name
    Brian

Arlen, I prefer the first photo of the three. I like the separation of the uncultivated by the fence and the illusion of space. The horizon on the other two for me is too close to dividing the scene equally in two.

Real Name
    Arlen

It's great to get the additional input, thanks for that. And if anyone else has an opinion, no need to be shy.

Trina, we are practically neighbors then. And you're right, the Rogue Valley is a special place. Rafting down the Wild and Scenic stretch is on my must-do list. But I'm sure you'll be energized by the coastal scenery; it is so different over there.

Real Name
    Greg

I prefer the first crop - but then I would have to say that

Real Name
    Dan

I like the first cropped version as well. Agree with another comment that the buildings need to remain small in the image for the impact of the wide expanse.

Real Name
    Arlen

Thanks to all of you for joining in the discussion, I appreciate each and every response.

How to best crop an image is a subjective thing, so I think it's worthwhile now and again to a get a broader perspective from more people. And it's a subject that we photo enthusiasts always seem to be thinking about, much more so than the average person on the street. On every photography forum I visit, cropping suggestions are the number one comment about posted images. In this case I think it's a very close call. I slightly prefer my original version because it conveys to me just a bit better sense of the wide open space that exists out there. But if I had only seen the first cropped version (bottom removed), I would be perfectly happy with it. And I've been known to change my mind over time, so who knows, maybe next month it will move into first place!