Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Worker

Real Name
    António Correia

Worker

I asked this young man to make some shots of him when working on some windows I was needing.
    He accepted gladly and I move to his working area where - after all his employees are gone - I shot these pictures.
    Usual equipment for a change: Canon 5D + ST-E2 + 430 EX + 580 EXII

However this time I used the umbrella with the 580 trying to make a soft light all over, avoiding strong shadows
    I told him to concentrate on his work while sometimes I said to look at me.

However this time something that puzzles me happened:
    As you can see in the pictures the guy is not at the center of the frame.
    I was using one of peripheral points for focusing and f/3.5 to avoid a too shallow DoF.
    And the pictures are not dam sharp. No. You can't see it but I can.
    The central point in camera is, in fact, far precise than the others. I was not focusing and cropping but framing right away and circulating to get the point that was needed.
    I almost forgot: I was using the 24-70 f/2.8 Canon.

Worker
    2. Worker

Re: Worker

i like the first pic its well balanced,nicely composed but not very well focused i would have liked the guy a little more sharp the second pic shows more detail,but again the focus on the guy is not sharp composition shows no balance in the pic! a step backwards before clicking would have helped dramatic or contrasting lighting would have enhanced these pics soft lighting has totally made these pics insipid

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by taken View Post
    i like the first pic its well balanced,nicely composed but not very well focused i would have liked the guy a little more sharp the second pic shows more detail,but again the focus on the guy is not sharp composition shows no balance in the pic! a step backwards before clicking would have helped dramatic or contrasting lighting would have enhanced these pics soft lighting has totally made these pics insipid
    Yes. The pictures are not dam sharp. No, they are not and I am sorry for that.
    I told what my problem was at the time of shooting.

On the other hand I must agree with you when you say that the pictures are insipid, flat.
    Now that you say it, I agree.
    I have the tendency to "equalize" the photos, to soften the differences between shadows and light.
    I think that this evenning at home, on my Mac, I will have a try on these very shots and make them a bit better.

And now that you say it the second pic is not well balanced.
    I don't agree with you when you say that a step backwards would have helped, but a rotation may improve the picture (with this crop).

Thank you for the comments.

Worker

the balance in a pic is in total control of the photographer! he can disturb the balance according to the subject,message,emotion,he wants to convey to the viewer if the pic succeeds in conveying the photographers viewpoint, to the viewer,then he has accomplished in his task viewer getting the wrong message means,the photographer has failed,not the image!

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by taken View Post
    the balance in a pic is in total control of the photographer! he can disturb the balance according to the subject,message,emotion,he wants to convey to the viewer if the pic succeeds in conveying the photographers viewpoint, to the viewer,then he has accomplished in his task viewer getting the wrong message means,the photographer has failed,not the image!

Have a nice week-end