Thread: My Buddy

Real Name
    Richard

My Buddy

A friend lost his dog unexpectedly to cancer and I realized that I didn't have any recent pictures of my best Maltese buddy. We rescued Mama-Mia when she was a puppy along with her mother. They were being kept in really dire conditions and my wife bought both from their owner to give them a better life; expecting to find homes for them. They were actually our first Maltese Rescues. That was several hundred Maltese Rescues ago!

My Buddy

We found a home for the mom and Mama-Mia found a home with us. She's over eleven years old now and still looks pretty good and is as lively as she was as a puppy! I really love this girl and she just adores me!

I like shooting dogs with a longer lens (this was shot at 160mm on a 1.6x 7D) because the background can be blurred even at a reasonably wide f/5.6 aperture. Shutter speed was 1/80 second. I also like shooting with an image stabilized lens.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 15th August 2013 at 05:55 AM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: My Buddy

Richard, this is a very nice photograph of Mama-Mia.

Bruce

Real Name
    Christina

Beautiful image, as always... She is adorable!

Real Name
    John

Great photo, great name.

Real Name
    Debbie

What a cutie! And a great reminder to take and keep up to date photos of our favorite things in life.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I like shooting dogs with a longer lens (this was shot at 160mm on a 1.6x 7D) because the background can be blurred even at a reasonably wide f/5.6 aperture. Shutter speed was 1/80 second. I also like shooting with an image stabilized lens.
    Thanks for this tip. I even understand what you're saying . I'm a point in my photography where I'm trying to be more mindful of my depth of field above and beyond the basics.

Debbie

Real Name
    Richard

Debbie,

You are so right about the value of pictures of those people and pets we love.

I lost a wonderful German Shepherd-Golden Retriever-Wolf hybrid to cancer over ten years ago. I have always been happy that I have a decent image of this girl whom I remember like she was with me up to yesterday.

My Buddy

I have an edited copy of this image hanging on my wall between my family room and kitchen, so I pass her every day...

Although this is just a snapshot done with a box camera, it is one of my favorite pictures. It shows my father as a young sailor aboard the Battleship, USS Texas about 1930.

My Buddy

I have better pictures of my dad but, this is my favorite since it was he who influenced me into joining (and staying in) the Navy. I served in the Navy from the age of 17 until I retired at 49 years old. I have never regretted any of those 32 years! BTW: it's not too shabby the first of every month either, when my retirement check comes in...

Real Name
    Dan

Lovely shot of your girl. Though we have many photos of our two old shorthairs that have now passed, there's a huge gap from when they were about four until about nine without any photos. I really regret that. I don't intend to make that mistake again.

Thanks for sharing your cute girl as well as your memories.

Real Name
    Travis

Nice shot again Richard. As a dog lover and rescuer myself I appreciate all you do. Keep up the great work.

Real Name
    Debbie

Debbie,

I lost a wonderful German Shepherd-Golden Retriever-Wolf hybrid to cancer over ten years ago. I have always been happy that I have a decent image of this girl whom I remember like she was with me up to yesterday.

My Buddy

I have an edited copy of this image hanging on my wall between my family room and kitchen, so I pass her every day...

Although this is just a snapshot done with a box camera, it is one of my favorite pictures. It shows my father as a young sailor aboard the Battleship, USS Texas about 1930.

My Buddy

I have better pictures of my dad but, this is my favorite since it was he who influenced me into joining (and staying in) the Navy. I served in the Navy from the age of 17 until I retired at 49 years old. I have never regretted any of those 32 years! BTW: it's not too shabby the first of every month either, when my retirement check comes in...
    Great stuff Richard. Fabulous portrait of your hybrid, as well as the snap of your father. What a treasures, sentimental value always trumps the rules of photography. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Debbie

Debbie,

My Buddy

My Buddy

Great stuff Richard. Fabulous portrait of your hybrid, as well as the snap of your father. What treasures! Thanks for sharing.