Thread: My enjoyable 1st attempts at Macro!!!

Real Name
    Claudio

My enjoyable 1st attempts at Macro!!!

Hi all..here's my first mini outing with my NEW Tamorn SP 90mm Di Vc USD F/2.8 rocket ship MACRO lens..woohooooo ...what ya think? I probably cropped in a bit more than needed to on mozzy... but he was tiny!!!!!

I dont have a flash...yet... so i made a home made diffuser..just pop it on my pop pop pop up flash,,, works like a bomb..at least i think so..as i say im new to macro.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! please dont be shy to throw in all your pointers!!!im here to learn

This last one is an attempt at something i just didnt quite get right..but will work on it..background to busy

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: My enjoyable 1st attempts at Macro!!!

Hi Claudio,

Congratulations on your Tamron, I have viewed many stunning images taken using this lens and I'm sure you are going have fun trying to reach it's maximum potential.

What do I think ?, you have taken a set with varied subjects that all demonstrate the 'challenge' of DOF and you have managed to make them interesting. Just think if you had got the mozzies snout as sharp as his head, it's not easy

As for using a diffuser over your pop up flash, yes, it can give you some good results.

Now advice, keep working at it, try and consider the background if you have time so it does not compete with the subject and use every aid you can where possible to get the part you want sharp.

I can't see any shooting details with these images, Claudio.

The fly is at a difficult angle for the shallow focus depth that comes with macro shots.

If using flash in the auto output option (ETTL for example) what I do is to set the camera with manual settings to suit the scene then adjust the flash output compensation to suit. This requires a bit of experimentation before you get the hang of it.

Typical manual settings for me would be 1/200 F14 Iso 200 and flash compensation around -1 to -2.

Although I now use an external flash I started by shooting like this with the pop up flash. If necessary you can remove the lens hood to prevent any shadow problems. I usually shoot without it to avoid frightening my subjects.

At one time I tried flash output reduction methods; like diffusers etc, but with poor results. Then I realised that with auto flash settings the camera was just increasing power to overcome anything I used for a diffuser. Different with fixed flash output though.

So now I simply shoot with normal flash but vary the output compensation to suit each scene; but always with manual camera settings.

Proper light diffusion like shooting into reflective umbrellas or other studio stuff can be worth while but not really suitable for outside use on live subjects.

Do you use a tripod? I have occasionally made successful macro shots handheld but always use a tripod now.

Real Name
    Claudio

Thanks for the reply and great advice guys. Greatly appreciated. Geoff i am using a tripod but that mozzy was so small..even indoors ,i would zoom in with livelier and it was soil movi.ng.. tried to get sharp as i could. Macro is allot of fun,!! I shoulda dun tis ages ago .

For the smaller creatures, Claudio, I use a 180 mm macro lens plus a 1.4x converter.

That is the trouble with macro photography, you always want more and better results - then it starts to get expensive!

Real Name
    Claudio

AAWESOME!! I didn't know you could put converters on! oh man.. you shouldn't have told me! Doh.. so.. could you recommend any types of converters Geoff? I got to say.. i don't mind the 90mm distance.. sort of adds to the challenge of getting the image Geoff when it comes to lighting.. what is your routine? I found that was my biggest challenge yesterday. When I'm out early morning in garden there's only shade... so i used my pop up flash with diffuser...then sun hit all..sorta soft..so used as is.. i also used a reflector. It seem to all work okayish. I found it was easier to get the bugs in shade an use flash cos my shutter speed was quicker. Am i doing this all wrong?

Real Name
    Jeff

ClaudioG: I don't have any experience with macro, so I can't help you with your questions, but I do want to say that I like your images, especially for a first effort, and I really love your enthusiasm. Ain't photography fun?

Real Name
    Claudio

Thanks Jeff...awe man..i love this... i just wish i had more time for it .. and my thinking is..get as many people into photography as i can..that way prices will come down..and i can get more toys!? Sound thinking huh?

Real Name
    Richard

Claudio,

I shoot with the previous model Tamron 90mm f/2.8 AF SP Macro which I have had for years and was, I think, the second lens I bought when I started in digital photography. I really like this lens and it is even sweeter because I purchased it used for $100 U.S. Dollars...

Two things about my Tamron Macro and I would assume that it pertains to your lens also:

1. This is the only one of my many lenses which I shoot without using a lens hood because the front element is recessed deeply and the lens barrel itself acts as a lens hood to shield the front element.

2. Regarding using a teleconverter with this lens. I have a 1.4x Canon teleconverter but, I need to add an extension tube between the lens and the teleconverter because the Canon TC will not physically fit on the Tamron. Just about any size extension tube will provide enough spacing between the lens and TC to allow them to mesh. I am not sure if the use of an extension tube would be as necessary with a third party TC such as Kenko or if this is necessary for a Tamron lens with a Nikon mount.

As far as lighting for macro photography, I use an old Siegelite flash bracket which is not produced any more but, can often be found on eBay for under $20 U.S. Dollars.

I started using a Canon 420EX flash but, now generally use my old faithful Canon 550EX and modify the light with a Lumiquest mini softbox that is also several generations old. The light is quite soft since the softbox is very close to the subject I am shooting. There are many Chinese knock-offs of the Lumiquest available but, I have found that they are generally not as well made.

I trigger the flash with a Canon Off-Camera Sync Cord. I have not experimented with using the flash trigger of my Canon 7D camera to fire the flash. I usually have the Tamron and Siegelite bracket set up on my Canon 40D ready for grab and go photography in case I spot a creepie-crawlie in my garden...

Most of my "creepie-crawlie" photography is done had held but, I will generally use a tripod for non animated subjects...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 15th August 2013 at 02:31 PM.

Real Name
    Terri

These photos are stunning. As a new photographer I can really appreciate them!

Real Name
    Claudio

H Richard..thank you for the advice..I'll have to do some research on converters for my Nikon camera..but alas I'll have to wait a while. My wife won't be to happy iif I start spending so quick just after getting the lens and tripod, and ballhead for tripod. lol. This new lens doesn't have the barrel that comes out..its all internal focusing..so helps quite a bit when I'm setting up trying to avoid bugging the bugs. .. As far as any other equipment? Could you recomeend anything? I don't have a flash yet..I'm using my pop up flash..made a home made diffuser which seems to be working ok..I guess..I'm no pro.. But its not blowing the whites and leaves good catch light on the bug.

Thanks again

Real Name
    Claudio

Thank you very much for the compliment Terri, much appreciated

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioG View Post
    My wife won't be to happy iif I start spending so quick just after getting the lens and tripod, and ballhead for tripod. lol. This new lens doesn't have the barrel that comes out..its all internal focusing..so helps quite a bit when I'm setting up trying to avoid bugging the bugs. .. As far as any other equipment? Could you recomeend anything? I don't have a flash yet..I'm using my pop up flash..made a home made diffuser which seems to be working ok..I guess..I'm no pro.. But its not blowing the whites and leaves good catch light on the bug.
    If your home adapted flash diffuser is not blowing the whites and leaving a good catch light you are doing well

Don't forget that adding a TC is going to give you a light loss that you have to compensate for somehow whereas the Tubes will not give you this problem.

Other equipment to consider without spending a fortune that is mainly useful for indoor work is a cheap focus rail, remote release, flexi clamp for holding subjects, right angle 2x magnifier all available from places like ebay.

Real Name
    Luc

Get yourself a tripod (one for macro). Macro and handheld are 2 word that doe not belong together well.