Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Young Hummer

  1. #1
    PRSearls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Northern Illinois, USA
    Posts
    313
    Real Name
    Paul

    Young Hummer

    I used a home-made reflector under the feeder to lighten up the shadows (2'x3' cardboard covered with aluminum foil). This was shot in full sun so the contrast would normally be very high. Exposure based on incident light reading and shot in manual. Cropped image.

    Paul S

    Young Hummer

  2. #2
    Brownbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    7,244
    Real Name
    Christina

    Re: Young Hummer

    Wow, gorgeous photo! I love the background, colour, detail and focus.

  3. #3
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,071
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Young Hummer

    Quote Originally Posted by PRSearls View Post
    I used a home-made reflector under the feeder to lighten up the shadows (2'x3' cardboard covered with aluminum foil). This was shot in full sun so the contrast would normally be very high. Exposure based on incident light reading and shot in manual. Cropped image.

    Paul S
    Good idea Paul,

    In fact I think I may have even suggested that to someone here recently, glad to see it worked

    Wonderful detail.

    I was nosey, and I'm sure someone will ask; the EXIF data says:
    Canon 5D Mk.III at 700mm, 1/800s, f/16 at 800 iso

    Well done,

  4. #4
    PRSearls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Northern Illinois, USA
    Posts
    313
    Real Name
    Paul

    Re: Young Hummer

    Thank you. Actually, the body is a 1Ds Mark III. It's a bit dated compared to recent offerings but I love it nevertheless. You can see the reflector in the lower highlight in the hummer's eye. I orientated the feeder so the hummer was facing down sun, otherwise the reflection was blinding in the sunlight. (It's not fun making an approach and landing into blinding light... I've done that)

    Paul S

  5. #5
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,071
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Young Hummer

    Quote Originally Posted by PRSearls View Post
    Thank you. Actually, the body is a 1Ds Mark III.
    Hi Paul,

    You're right, I can't read

    Quote Originally Posted by PRSearls View Post
    I orientated the feeder so the hummer was facing down sun, otherwise the reflection was blinding in the sunlight. (It's not fun making an approach and landing into blinding light... I've done that)
    I did see that reflection and wondered about the brightness aspect, glad you thought of that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •