Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Photo-Editing Software

Photo-Editing Software

Pop Art Studio

http://www.fotoview.nl/default_eng.htm

Pop Art Studio is very easy to use graphics editing software. It supports BMP, JPG, GIF, PNG, TIFF and PSD (Photoshop) formatted images. Pop Art Studio contains many Andy Warhol effects and the famous Roy Lichtenstein effect. The program provides an endless selection of text and drawing tools, filters and color adjustment capabilities. Layers allow you to create complex compositions.

Key Features

Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein and other Pop Art effects
    Andy Warhol Batch image processing: Che, Marilyn, Mao, Coca Cola, …
    Collages: Film Strips, Postage Stamps, Stamp Sheets, Picture Wall Collage
    Photo Collage, Photo Mosaic, Clip Art Mosaic, Text Mosaic
    Batch image processing (resize, flip, rotate, watermark, effects)
    Animations (Gif, Flash) for use in Web Design
    Vector and raster layers, layer groups
    Examples of design elements: banners, logo's, buttons, animations
    Text Art, text effects, and text warp tools
    Shape, Gradient, 3D and Clip Art tools
    A large collection of Clip Art
    Polaroid Madness, Ultimate Fractal
    Yes We Can, the famous Barack Obama Poster
    Puzzle, Pop Art Girls, Typo Effect, Grammy Art
    Automatically correct red eyes
    Scale, resize, crop, flip and rotate images
    Blur, color, deform, edge, artistic, and texture effects
    Measure, paint bucket, eraser and magic eraser, clone stamp
    Brush, airbrush, effect brush, and history brush
    Noise reduction, edge preserving smooth, sharpening, unsharp mask
    English, Français, Deutsch, Español, Italiano, Português, Nederlands

Real Name
    David

Re: Photo-Editing Software

Brigette - Looks interesting - I've downloaded it and shall try it out.

Happy New Year

David

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Brigette - Looks interesting - I've downloaded it and shall try it out.

Happy New Year

David

Dear David!

Happy New Year!
    May the coming year bring you the joy and happiness that you desire.

Please let me know if you have try out the program.
    Last edited by Brigitte; 1st January 2010 at 05:56 PM.

Real Name
    David

Hi Brigette - I've spent some time having a go with this software.The first point that I would make is that it is very interesting to use and very powerful with an enormous number of options for converting an image into various pop art formats. Whether this software would be of use to many of the regular contributors to these fora is another matter as it veers rapidly into areas of graphic design as well as the pop art styles.

The second point I would make is that some of the styles, Mondriaan, pointillism, impressionism, are not even close to the real thing. One of my interests is art including some aspects of pop art. I've seen and studied Mondriaans; I've tried to write software to emulate pointillism and spent hours poring over impressionist paintings. Like some similar filters in other software, the programmers have not really understood what those painting styles and techniques were all about, aesthetically and technically. In pointillism, for example, the idea was to create groups of paint dots in "pure" complementary colours that, when viewed from a distance, blended in the eye to give the desired colour. The reason for this was that paints from a tube, when mixed, loose a great deal of their vibrancy. Seurat and others thought they could overcome this by using complementary colours, from the tube, without mixing. The software, however, just creates splodges without apparent regard to definition or complementary colours. Similarly, the impressionism filter gives posterised unrelated colours. Monet would be most upset! As for the Mondriaan filter, as one art critic in the UK might say (Brian Sewell), "ghaaaastly"! Mondriaan was trying for simplicity and unity in spiritual and aesthetic aspects of art. He used thin black lines on a white base, augmented by colour fields. Although not apparent to a casual viewer, nothing was random in his work. The software, however, does just that: random colour and white in black borders. All of this is a great shame because with some thought (and talking to artists) software could be developed that would capture the essence of these techniques.

All that sounds, upon re-reading, like a rant, but I do like some aspects: the Lichtenstein and Warhol effects in particular.

Thanks, Brigette, for bringing the software to my and our attention.

Cheers

David