Thread: Star shots, first attempt.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Star shots, first attempt.

This is my first effort at capturing the Milky Way. The lens is a 20mm @ 3.5, ISO 3200 and 30 seconds. I set the noise reduction in camera for long exposure and high ISO. A fair bit of PP to bring out. The termite mound is a Magnetic which points south and north, it was lit with a led light. You can see the Southern Cross lying on its side near the horizon. Any critique will be valuable.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Star shots, first attempt.

I'm surprised your stunning, starry sky has not gotten any replies. It is very beautiful although the base of the termite mound is too bright (distracting) IMO. You could tone it down in post processing or crop off about half of the black foreground. Your settings encourages me to try and get a similar shot although my old 1Ds MkIII is not as clean at high ISO's. There is a big meteor shower this weekend so I may get out to try then.

This photo reminds me of my boyhood on a Midwestern USA farm away from bright light pollution. Moonless clear, summer nights were ablaze with the Milky Way. It was an incredible and magical sight. Clear winter skies were similar although I much preferred the warm temperatures. This was a long time before I took up photography... a pity.

Good job, Wayne.

Paul S

Real Name
    Christina

Beautiful image. Thank you for sharing.

Real Name
    Kim Abbott

I honestly can't say anything in critique. This is a beautiful image and I must admit to being quite enamored with it.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Wayne.

That's a great shot. You are lucky to have such dark, light pollution free skies in the Land of Oz.

There appears to have a reddish cast to the sky, and you might want to set the white balance differently. If it were me, I wouldn't paint with a red light, but would use incandescent or LED light. (I haven't figured out how to remove the bluish cast from white LEDs yet.)

I agree that the lower portion of termite mound is too bright for the image and would try painting it for a shorter duration. I would also get more light at the top, and if necessary, paint it longer than the bottom.

Keep up the good work.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Good first attempt Wayne,

I really can't add anything useful beyond the comments already made.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Jon

Wayne, thanks for sharing, I'm hoping for as successful first attempt as yours. heading out into the North Cascades, Wednesday night, New moon, hopefully a clear night, so far signs are good.

Have you looked at Star Circle Academy site? wealth of info on capturing and processing stars

Jon

Real Name
    Greg

Wayne, I like the idea of the mound in the foreground. It provides a good textural contrast, but as others have noted, I think the lower part is a little too bright and needs to be toned down.

Real Name
    Steve

Can't wait till you get good at this. Very nice shot wayne, looking forward to future shots.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by flechtight View Post
    Wayne, thanks for sharing, I'm hoping for as successful first attempt as yours. heading out into the North Cascades, Wednesday night, New moon, hopefully a clear night, so far signs are good.

Have you looked at Star Circle Academy site? wealth of info on capturing and processing stars

Jon
    Hi Jon, I havent seen their site nut will have a look. There is a lot on youtube and google. Good luck and please share them with us.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Curtis View Post
    Hi Wayne.

That's a great shot. You are lucky to have such dark, light pollution free skies in the Land of Oz.

There appears to have a reddish cast to the sky, and you might want to set the white balance differently. If it were me, I wouldn't paint with a red light, but would use incandescent or LED light. (I haven't figured out how to remove the bluish cast from white LEDs yet.)

I agree that the lower portion of termite mound is too bright for the image and would try painting it for a shorter duration. I would also get more light at the top, and if necessary, paint it longer than the bottom.

Keep up the good work.
    Thanks Ken, I'm still new to photoshop and struggling with it. The thing is the red brings out the depth of the Milky Way but other colours don't. I'm sure I will get better at PP in good time. The trick with this is to edit the land and the sky separately which I will kern shortly when time permits. I have seen some great examples of that which means theres no need for lighting up the foreground. I shall carry on.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Here's another shot without the light on the termite mound.