Thread: Necking

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Necking

I'm thinking of adding another bottle to the top right area and the bottom left area to give the impression that this could be a detail of perhaps hundreds of bottles.

Necking
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 3rd August 2013 at 10:27 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Necking

A neet composition, mike. I think it would give the impression of many more bottles.

Real Name
    Christina

Another amazing photo with exceptional detail, shadows and highlights captured. Still my favourite is the last one you posted, the single glass, spinning top one because it is beautiful.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Mike your work with glass is amazing! Great stuff!

Real Name
    Christina

Yes, I think so, too. Mike I think you should exhibit your glass photos at a local gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Mike your work with glass is amazing! Great stuff!

Real Name
    Arlen

I like the way you are sticking with this subject, creating a niche for yourself, and becoming a master at it. Pretty soon when we see any photo of glass, we'll think of you.

By the way, I got a copy of the "Light Science and Magic" book that we discussed last year, but have to admit that I haven't found time to read it yet. It's climbing my "To Do" list, though.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Mike, not only well executed but also very creative. My only concern with adding an additional bottle on top and bottom is that it might distract from an already excellent image. As the image stands right now it's so clean looking. I think partial images of additional bottles would only muck up its clean look.

karm

Thanks, everyone! Very kind of all of you!

Though I like this new version far better, I'm eager to learn of any dissenting comments. Even if you like the first version better, I'm sure you'll be glad for my wife and me that we made the additional two bottles available that are required for this newer version.

Necking
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 4th August 2013 at 02:42 AM.

If you go back and forth between the two images in the Lytebox, you'll notice a significant shift. That's because I hadn't tightened the thingies tightly enough to hold the camera absolutely immovable relative to its position on the boom. When I removed the memory card from the camera after capturing the first image, I accidentally moved the camera just a bit. Darn! On the other hand, I kind of like that the second image is a little off center, rendering the image a bit less static.

Real Name
    Christina

I like the 2nd version best but I'm not sure why.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Mike with a thread title like that I just had to have a look - and liked what I saw ! I prefer the second, is it the slightly darker tones?

Well done

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The second version is slightly asymmetrical, and I think that is what adds the interest. "Accidents" can help..

I wonder what it would look like without the threads from the screw on caps; you'll have to drink more wine out of corked bottles to try it. Doing a similar shot with wine glasses might be interesting too.

Continued thanks to everyone!

Manfred, about the screw caps: Right now I'm photographing clear glass and there are very few wines stored in bottles that are truly clear. Most of them have a green tint. I did find one wine stored in clear bottles that use cork stoppers but the labels are so difficult to remove that it's not worth the trouble.

I'm sure some day I'll move on to bottles that have a green tint. I'll have a wide variety available then that do not have screw caps.

Just out of curiosity, am I the only person who thinks the images appear to be vertically oriented? Both of them are actually perfectly square but there seems to be some sort of optical illusion going on that makes them look otherwise, at least to me.

Real Name
    Christina

If you are asking if the images appear to be of a portrait orientation (instead of landscape), yes I think so.

That's what I was asking, Christina. I tend not to use the terms, "portrait" and "landscape," in the context of orientation because portraits and landscapes can be presented either vertically or horizontally. Using the terms, "vertical" and "horizontal," to describe the orientation generally leaves no question about the intent of the meaning.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Actually, the format looks square to me Mike, but then I did not have a hand in creating those empty bottles...

I didn't have a hand in creating the empty bottles either, Manfred. Fortunately, I did have a hand in emptying them.