Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Which is the best camera/lens combo?

Which is the best camera/lens combo?

I have done quite a bit of research and given my budget, have whittled down my options to the following 3 packages. I would mostly be bringing my gear with me when I am on travel and would take a mix of landscapes, buildings, people with landmarks behind them, etc. (just about anything) I am not sure how important the 18-28mm range is. I know that wide angle is good for landscape photography but how bad is a 28mm? Also, I am not sure when 135mm would not be sufficient and one would need to go all the way up to 200mm. Last but not least, I am not sure how convenient/inconvenient it would be to change lenses while on travel. I understand that the D60 and 40D are very different cameras but I am willing to look at both of them. My options are as below, would be most grateful if people on this forum would be able to help me out. Thanks in advance!

1. Nikon D60 with 18-55mm VR and 55-200mm VR ~$850

2. Canon EOS 40D with 28-135mm IS ~$1150

3. Nikon D60 with 18-200mm VR ~$1300

Re: Which is the best package?

I would vote for option 1 for a couple of reasons (one which being that I'm not familiar enough with the 40D to comment on it): The D60 is a good, high-end, entry-level body with easy-to-use features, enough to keep a serious photographer happy for a long time. The 18mm end is ideal for landscapes; don't forget on a crop-body (APS-C sensor) this equates to 27mm, whereas the 28mm of package two equates to 52mm. It's also $450 dollars cheaper than package three, and I'm not especially impressed with the 18-200mm lens; it's a little too 'Swiss Army' or 'McGyver' for me and I've heard many reports talking about a wide range in quality; both of the kit lenses in package one get very favorable reviews.

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Definitely option 1, as listed. I would also consider other options not listed though.

You will need the lens to be at least as wide as 18 mm since you shoot landscapes. If you are in a narrow street, particularly in Europe, I think you will often find it hard to get most buildings in the shot with anything much narrower than this. Also, having a couple of lenses that you use for different shooting situations is not too bothersome.

I agree that a 18mm lens is good for landscapes. I have the 18-200 and if I had to have just one lens, this would be the one. I think the review of it on dpreview details the compromises inherent in such a lens and balances this against the flexibility it offers.
    Last edited by michaelfranklin; 5th August 2008 at 08:24 AM.