Thread: The perfect photography rule--shooting from a specific angle

The perfect photography rule--shooting from a specific angle

In order to enhance photography skills, many people no longer rely on edit photos, but focus on mastering the skills of using the cameras. In fact much better result can be got in this way than relying on improving one’s own photography skills.
    The factor determining the quality of the photos taken is not the camera, but the photographer’s appreciation of the view. Therefore the lens and shooting angle are very important. And one method is to fix a shooting angle, enjoying the fun of image creation.
    Zoom lenses are very facilitating, but the use of it would hinder the improvement of photography skills, therefore it is just used when needed.
    Fix the photographing angle, focus on the composition and walking steps.
    Do not use the middle part of the focal length, but the wide conversion lens and the long focal lengths.
    When the photographer can not walk far, look for the most effective composition in this shooting angle. In this way, the photographer’s photography skills can be truly promoted through constant shooting practice of the same shooting angle. No matter under what circumstances, the photographer can take full advantage of mobile feet to adjust distance and angle, handling the screen balance well. In addition, one’s composition skill would also be improved.
    After finding out the favorite shooting angle one is good at, buying a fixed-focus lens which can take this angle is enough. The Fixed-focus lenses are simpler than zoom lenses , and their performance is also better, more personalized, the F value maximum brightness is also higher. Therefore the picture would be more perfect when using all those advantages.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Re: The perfect photography rule--shooting from a specific angle

"In order to enhance photography skills, many people no longer rely on edit photos, but focus on mastering the skills of using the cameras. In fact much better result can be got in this way than relying on improving one’s own photography skills."

This completely ignores the fact that the editor is the companion tool to the camera and without skills in both one is handicapped.
    It ignores the fact that it is rare for 'everything' will be 'right' for the exposure or one has the equipment needed for the shot one visualises.
    That normally in detirmining a setting 'in-camera' one is largely locked into that setting whereas the soluition adopted by at least one world renowned photographer was to shoot for the editor ... or darkroom in his case ... I am quite sure had he lived into the digital age he would have been completely wrapped with the editor as we know it today.
    I support much of what John suggests but think he is extrapolating in wrong directions with many of his conclusions

Real Name
    Wayland ( aka. Gary Waidson )

This reads like a cut and paste with an advert hidden in it.

would you like to tell us a bit more about yourself?

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Agree with Wayland. The first topic that the OP created appeared to be on these lines which I mistook for an experienced hand giving guidelines. However, the OP's 2nd and 3rd ( this one ) seems to follow the same pattern. I would be curious as to the reason for such topics without explanation or samples.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by johnmcgowan View Post
    Fix the photographing angle, focus on the composition and walking steps.
    OFF THE CLIFF -

Hi John,

A very interesting perspective. A perspective requiring super fit flying photographers.

Birds in flight and wildlife photography done exclusively with prime lenses would require a “prime” camera with very high resolution and good software skills to crop and enhance images. This would put the photographer in the category of “big cropper”.
    A good zoom lens allows the skillful photographer to frame the shot more effectively rather than trying to “zoom with his feet” over long distances, or resorting to “big cropping” later on in PP. Prime lenses can be very restrictive in many instances, therefore zoom lenses are becoming more popular and the quality is improving with every new release.

All photographers shoot from a specific angle. If the photographer starts shooting from a “fixed angle” it will in many cases be impossible to get the best composition for a specific shot. Shooting a portrait of a lady with a double chin from a low angle of view will have that lady get very angry at the incompetent photographer. Using a little higher angle of view instead will hide her double chin and she will recommend the photographer to her friends.

Finding a “favorite shooting angle one is good at” is a NO-NO to any photographer. A photographer should be good at shooting from any angle, depending on circumstance, subject, composition, light and other factors.
    There would be no “fixed focus lens that can take this angle”. I have not yet seen any “fixed focus” lens and would like you to elaborate on it. Photographers should be creative people using a variety of different lenses with different focal lengths to render different perspectives on their different subjects.

The “maximum brightness” allowed by the F stop of a prime lens might be a great advantage in low light photography, it does not mean lenses with smaller maximum apertures are no good. You can always resort to good flash photography skills or try using a tripod in low light. F 2.8 is pretty darn good for most situations in most lighting conditions with the low noise levels rendered by high ISO settings on most new DSLR’s.

A few good images to illustrate your rendition of the “Perfect photography rule” will be most enlightening.

Real Name
    Allan Short

I have to agree with Wayland & Haseeb reads and sounds very much like a cut and paste. Like Andre I would like some good images to illustrate the 3 posts, have a feeling that this johnmcgowan is not a photographer but perhaps a, I read something so I can past it on expert.
    So you are trying to talk the walk, but can you, walk the walk as my old boss use to say we will just have to wait and see.

Allan

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thread closed. Person initiating the thread was previously asked to explain the context for the posts he was making. No reply was received. Account suspended.

Happy to reinstate if Op wished to come back on having given some explanation/context for his posts.