Thread: Exporting for tablet viewing

Real Name
    Dave

Exporting for tablet viewing

Hi,

I have a Samsung 10.1" which I use for showing photos to friends and relatives. This particular tablet has a 1280 x 800 display, which looks pretty crisp on the small screen. I use LR4.4 as my image editor, and shoot RAW.

Has anyone done much experimenting with outputting for this kind of device?

I find one difference between viewing on a tablet and a conventional screen is that zooming is so easy that someone viewing will often want to zoom in on a particular feature (never mind my careful composition ).

Logically, there seems mileage in outputting at a higher resolution, whilst still using the "sharpen for screen" option in LR export. Then there is a balance, because the tablet processor isn't that fast, and a big image can take an appreciable time to render.

I'm continuing to play to see what seems to give the best results, but I wonder if anyone has any experience.

Incidentally, Android tablets are not generally colour managed, though I see that Spyder have just brought out a free app. The downside, of course, is that you have to buy a Spyder colorimeter to use it!

Dave

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: Exporting for tablet viewing

You have/use LR...is your monitor color calibrated? Bite the bullet and buy the Spyder and use it on both.

Real Name
    Dave

Yes it is - I have a ColorMunki

Real Name
    Richard

I have just started using my Nook HD+ tablet for viewing my images. I loaded the Pixie Reef Fish Bowl as my image viewing app and was surprised just how good the images look. I didn't do any sizing, I simply copied my very large jpeg images straight from my desktop computer using Adobe bridge to a 32gb micro sd card. To do this, I used an adapter that has an SD card adapter and a USB connector. Plugged in the setup to my desktop computer's USB port and dragged and dropped. That was all there was to it.

The Nook HD+ and Fish Bowl App immediately recognized the images on the micro SD card. I plan to keep all my images on that card. The images were immediately viewable and I could just hit the slide show option. The 9-inch screen is bright and crisp and the images come up quite quickly. The slide show goes along at a very fast clip. I was astounded at just how fast the images will load and show up. I was also very pleased at how nice they look with no specific PP for a tablet.

I have only loaded my images from Istanbul but, I am going to load all of my images (32gb can fit a lot of JPEG images) on the card and will separate them into galleries for easy selection.

Another use for the Nook HD+ will be when my wife and I are at our Maltese Dog recue events. I can have a slide show of our Maltese running on our exhibit table. The Nook even has a small attachment spot at the botom left which I can attach a security wire or chain to ensure that the Nook doesn't walk off with some thief.

I also have an alternate method of viewing my images if I am in a WiFi capable area. I simply log into my smugmug.com galleries. The Nook needs a WiFi source to get onto the Internet but, then again that is actually plus since I don't need a subscription to use it and most of the Starbucks, McDonald's and all public libraries as well as a lot of other places have WiFi. The little Nook can work the Internet pretty darn fast. Not as fast as my powerful desktop computer but as fast as my five year old HP notebook computer.

I previously used a Vizio 8-inch tablet but never liked working with it. The Nook seems a lot easier to use and has a better picture. The Vizio does have one capability that the Nook lacks: it has a stand alone GPS system. I plan on using it strictly for its GPS capabilities and do the rest of my work with the Nook HD+.

The Pixie Reef Fish Bowl App has lots of capabilities which I am just learning to use. The App is supposed to be viable for anyone 4-years old and older. Than means I should be able to work with it
    www.pixiereef.com