Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Laporte Barn...again

Real Name
    Jon

Laporte Barn...again

I was up in Laporte Indiana again the other day and seeing I had the new camera with me I thought I would stop and catch this barn again. Well, I really need to modify my schedule because it seems like every time I am there it is the same time of day, with the same darn shadows. Oh well...I will keep trying

1.Laporte Barn...again

2.Laporte Barn...again

I almost forgot the color...

3.Laporte Barn...again

4.Laporte Barn...again

The corn is about 8' tall now and completely blocks the smaller building to the left of the barn

My previous thread of this barn is here: Door Prairie
    Last edited by Plumcrak; 27th July 2013 at 02:37 AM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Laporte Barn...again

Photo 3 is really magical for me. Anyone who doesn't view the largest version of it is missing a treat.

Real Name
    Jon

Thanks Mike. I am just starting to figure out the new gear...this is fun!

Real Name
    Christina

Lovely images... A great lesson in composition and DOF. #3 is my favourite, too.

Real Name
    Greg

How high is an elephant's eye?

Glad you posted the link to the previous post, Jon, it gives a good sense of how high that corn is. The 3rd is my preference too.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

It's the second one that really catches my eye.

I like the tighter composition on the barn. The wider view has, fro me, more distractions and I find myself questioning what the image is about. Is about the barn? The corn? The sky? Whereas the tighter composition leaves us in no doubt as to where our attention is being directed.

Why the B & W version?

For me this image is about light and shade, tone and texture. The colours are nice, but do they really add anything to the image? Take the colour out and I think we're allowed to concentrate much more on that light and shade, tone and texture

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    It's the second one that really catches my eye.
    That's my second favorite one, so we agree at least that it's very pleasing.

I find myself questioning what the image is about. Is about the barn? The corn? The sky?
    It's an environmental portrait of the barn. For me, there is no question that the barn is the subject and that the wider angle of this photo allows me to appreciate it in context of everything around it.

The colours are nice, but do they really add anything to the image?
    The color of the barn is very meaningful to me because red barns have always been a staple of America's farmland. I don't know about elsewhere, so I wonder if the color of the barn means more to people of some cultures than to people of other cultures.

Real Name
    Christina

I prefer the colour versions because the colours are beautiful and it makes the place very inviting. (nothing to do with culture)

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Jon. It is interesting: I prefer the wide shot in colour and the tight shot in black and white. I suspect the black and white tight version simplifies the scene and allow me to concentrate on the texture of the old barn, whereas the wide colour shot gives the building in it's environment.
    Thanks for giving all four versions; it makes me think more deeply about my own processing.

Real Name
    Jon

Thank you all for your comments.

I see Donalds point on the B&W shots(I am a B&W junkie) but I also like the color versions because, to me, color is what these barns are about...and I like the sky color.

Personally I am torn between the two versions...I think I will keep them both