Nikon d70 ?

Want your opinion about the D70

waiting ..
    Thanks
    Ahmed .....

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Nikon d70 ?

Ahmed: It was a great camera when it came out, that was some time ago, suggest if you have not read the thread Nikon D90 vs Nikon D7000 suggest that you read it. It can be found under the same heading that you post this thread under.

Cheers:

Allan
    Last edited by Polar01; 25th July 2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Add a line

Real Name
    donaldjledet

Also it came out around the year of 2004.
    The D7000 is a very good camera, and can get for a good price since the D7100 came out in march of this year.
    Also you can go to nikonites.com and learn all about the nikon cameras there.
    Enjoy which ever one you get.

Real Name
    Dan

For similar age technology and roughly the same pixel count, the D40 is a superior camera IMO. I owned both at one time.

Real Name
    Hendrik

I got into DSLRs with the D70. Many of my most favorite images were taken with it. It's still fun to take shooting as long as the conditions are within its limitations. That said, it is several generations old and it does have significant limitations that you might find constraining. For walking around in daylight, shooting at base iso (200), and filling the frame with the subject (wasting no pixels), it's fine and correctly exposed files can be absolutely gorgeous at the pixel level. It is compatible with all Nikkor lenses with the exception of pre-AI lenses (and even those can be adapted for use).

In dim conditions it can struggle (but there's always flash to be considered, and it can act as a commander for Nikon CLS flashes). If you want a high degree of automation and in-camera processing this is not the camera to choose - it has a relatively basic tool kit. Auto-focus, high-iso noise control, exposure smarts - so much technology has been bettered in the interim. However...

Decisions need to be made with output in mind. For example, if you want to sell large prints of sunsets, this may not be the camera for you. The noise floor is so high that, once a good exposure for the sky has been set, there is very little detail that can be brought out of deep shadows noiselessly. If you will only be posting on the web (900 on the long side) or printing 4" x 6" (10cm X 15cm), then this camera could work surprisingly well. Downsampling of this magnitude cures many ills. Of course, a good deal of this sort of problem could be managed with HDR, too.

There are Swiss Army Knives and there are Swiss Army Knives. The ones with more tools don't cut rope any better than the ones with fewer. Then there are the odd jobs - how prepared do you feel a need to be or are you just feeling lucky? Myself, I get by with a Spartan: 8 tools (as long as I don't lose the toothpick or the tweezers). And only because I do insist on having the corkscrew.