Thread: Contemplation

Real Name
    John

Contemplation

Spotted this scene in one the rooms of the Alcázar in Seville, Spain.

Nikon D7000
    18mm-200mm Nikkor @ 27mm
    1/10th Sec @ f7.1 ISO 400

Contemplation

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Contemplation

A very nice image, john. You handled the exposure very well, and a nice composition.

Real Name
    Terry

Hey John!

This sings! Very nice.

The lighting is great. No question about the focal point. The very next thing I saw was the observer in contemplation. Only thing I would ask you is if you thought the second and third bench back highlights from frame right might be burned down a tad to advantage?

But no matter, it's very nice John.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

John I think the thing that really stands out for me in this image is the striking contrast between the very colourful painting and the whites greys and blacks in the room. I assume these are natural shades (rather than a result of pp) but either way it works well. The lady observer is also important to the image. Well done.

Dave

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    This sings! Very nice.

The lighting is great. No question about the focal point. The very next thing I saw was the observer in contemplation.
    Exactly how I saw it too.
    The bright colours really stood out, then I saw her.
    Then I went full size, the detail is great.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi John,

I detect the mono look is PP
    The 'tell' is the ending of the coloured reflection in the third seat in line with the picture frame edge.

As an image, it works well for me too, but I'd support Terry's burning suggestion and I'd desaturate (by hand) the 'tell' as it attracted my attention, just to make it as near perfect as possible.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    tom dinning

Selective desaturation certainly has its place when done well. I wouldn't put this one to the test. The selection is dodgy on both the painting and the woman and the other painting is definitely not in B&W. color selection can certainly add to some images but but with this one the impact would have been much the same in full color or just B&W. it's the relationship between the observer and the painting that is the subject matter as well as the environment. Even the open window has significance, and the benches all facing away from the paintings. Viewers don't need the bleeding obvious pointed out to them by using a cliche, and that's how it appears here.

Real Name
    Greg

Interesting comments, Tom. You have made me re-think a photo I have been playing around with.

Real Name
    John

Thanks all for your comments. I agree, the highlights could be taken down a bit more. The colour scheme in the room was basically B/W and there has been some selective desaturation to further emphasise the contrast between that and the Painting (as spotted by Daves magnifying glass) and to bring out the principle elements of the composition. Sorry it offended you Tom but I value your comment.

Real Name
    tom dinning

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Thanks all for your comments. I agree, the highlights could be taken down a bit more. The colour scheme in the room was basically B/W and there has been some selective desaturation to further emphasise the contrast between that and the Painting (as spotted by Daves magnifying glass) and to bring out the principle elements of the composition. Sorry it offended you Tom but I value your comment.
    Takes a lot more than that to offend me, John. Good photos don't need bling. The scene speaks for itself. Relax a bit and enjoy it as it is, then take the shot. You'll realize you don't need to tizzy it up to allow yourself to take a good picture and please us as viewers.