Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 70-300 views, please

Real Name
    Dave

Canon 70-300 views, please

Another thread asking for a lens opinion. I'm off on (another!) safari holiday in two months. My current kit is a Canon 600D and a Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 SP Di VC. In general, I have been pretty happy with the Tamron, but am considering an upgrade to the Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 L. Main reasons:

Improved IQ
    Faster autofocus
    Weather sealed
    Two-position IS, for use when panning, for example.
    Likely to satisfy as long as I need it

Does anyone have a view on the relative qualities of the two lenses?

I have no plans to go FF, but if I want the best Canon glass then that is what you get. It is likely that my next body upgrade will be to a 70D, depending on how that measures up when it does hit the streets.

Then, where/how to buy:

Rent: Obviously the cheapest option, in the short term. I can rent for a month (which would give me a couple of weeks to get used to it) for around £200

Buy new retail UK. Typically around £1150

Buy a "grey" import from say HDEW - cost around £900, but a bit worried about the guarantee

Buy second hand of Ebay - but still quite pricey and would worry about the condition or a bad copy.

Thanks very much for any views,

Dave

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Canon 70-300 views, please

I would suggest you look at how often you shoot at 200mm to 300mm range – and if you are there a often then look at when you are there, if you would miss the 70 to 100 range.

What I am getting to is: the EF 70 to 200F/4 L IS USM and a x1.4MkII EF Extender is another option: and I would choose that given only those two options from which to choose.

Then (later) you can look at the 300F/4 IS USM if you want more reach (and you still have the x1.4MkII - which is pretty handy on both the lenses I mentioned).

BUT - I have an inbuilt bias against varying maximum aperture zoom lenses - but - that's not the only reason for my suggestions - I do think what I have suggested, is a much more flexible lens cache.

WW

Going by that price, I take it you mean the latest highest quality 70-300 lens. There are several other options.

I was thinking about this lens at one time, to upgrade the cheaper version, but it wasn't available in the UK then so I eventually purchased a 70-200 instead.

Recently, a friend purchased this lens and finds it works very well.

The 70-200 (in a variety of forms) is a really excellent lens but I often do miss the 200 to 300 mm length. Other people will rarely use this size.

I have successfully purchased from abroad (using reliable companies) without any problems and even when I had to send an item for repair, to an authorised Canon repairer, there wasn't any difficulty.

But check that there won't be any extra import charges and expect a long wait for delivery; at least two weeks from my experience.

I would have added this lens to my bag, but for one reason - it will not take an extender.

As a result I picked up a good condition used 70-200 f/2.8 IS L (not version II) which works well to give me 400 FL when required.

The upside to the 70/300 is that it's short, light and would have fit in my bag - the 70-200 f/2.8 is a long, heavy monster. 200 mm long without filters or caps. Did I say it was heavy? It could be a weapon.

Fortunately it comes with a tripod ring.

Glenn

Real Name
    Adrian

Here is a review of the proposed lens with examples of photos from it in a similar to scenario to your intended one.

http://www.canonrumors.com/reviews/e...-6l-is-review/

I don\t own this lens as we already have the DO 300mm zoom and two versions of the f2.8 70-200, but absent those I would certainly buy this lens as long as I did no expect to need a converter on it. It is good value I think.

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks for the ideas - I'll check some things out. I think I can use Lightroom to filter the actual focal lengths I have used in the past - never thought of that.

I should have mentioned that for the kind of trips we do, there is usually around a 15kg weight limit including hand baggage which is another attraction of the 70-300.

Yes, I do mean the latest version. I hope I'll only be buying once

(Edit) Many thanks, Adrian, for your post. I think we were typing at the same time. I think I am convinced, as you say, exactly the scenario I am thinking of, albeit with higher end bodies.

Dave
    Last edited by davidedric; 21st July 2013 at 09:29 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

I use the Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS lens along with a 300mm f/4L IS lens and a 1.4x TC. I am very satisfied with this arrangement but, if the 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS lens had been on the market when I purchased my other lenses, I would have seriously considered it.

OTOH: with the addition of the 1.4x TC on the 300mm f/4L IS; I have a 420mm f/5.6 lens (an amazing 672mm equivalent) with quite decent IQ and AF! This is far beyond what the 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS lens would afford. Shooting with 2 cameras as I usually do, the versatility of the combinations are amazing...

The longer the better on safari.
    On safari a few years ago, in Botswana, I was able to rent an EF 500mm f/4 on site with the guides company.
    A 2nd body with your EF 70 to 300mm would be ideal.