Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Best remote for Canon & Nikon

Real Name
    E. James

Best remote for Canon & Nikon

I have a Nikon D7000 and a Canon Mark II and wish to know the best remote (wireless but non-IR) shutter release for these cameras. I also want to know what options are available for a remote that will allow an extended exposure. Thank you!!

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: Best remote for Canon & Nikon

Ed,

It really comes down to what you consider 'best' taking your budget and exact requirements into account. Both Canon and Nikon have their own make remotes and there are countless others available on the market.

Some five years ago I purchased a wireless remote for my Nikon from Hong Kong via ebay, four switchable channels, manual extended exposure, no makers name and really cheap. It actually looks good, acceptable build quality and I considered it as a 'throw away item'.

It has been used regularly, looked after and has never let me down although I have changed a battery !

Real Name
    John

A few years ago I purchased the ML-L3 for my Nikon D60, which was the designated model for my camera, and it didn't work. I checked a few forums and most who purchased the ML-L3 had same problem. I returned the remote to the dealer, he tried it on a few Nikons and no luck. He tried a Promaster Universal (code 9156) remote and it worked fine, had no problems at all and it worked on my newer Nikon as well. The Universal remote has designated buttons for a few different camera models, you'll have to check the Promaster website to see if it is compatible with your camera.

Real Name
    Dan

Ed,

I've used two. I bought a cheap one from a Chinese company on eBay that never worked. (Rather than giving me my money back, they offered me the chance to buy another one at a discount, and they spam me to this day.) Later, I took a night photography workshop with Mark Bowie, and I decided to try the one he uses: the Hahnel Giga T Pro 2. It takes a bit of time to figure out how to program it, but once you know your way around it, it is a very powerful device, and I am very pleased with it. I use it as an unprogrammed release, and I use the first level of programming for long exposures in night photography so that I don't have to try to monitor the time by dim flashlight. However, it will do much more. You can set up a level one program, and then layer on top of that a level 2 program that tells the camera how many times, and at what intervals, to execute the first level program.

One drawback of any of them: I believe the connectors for Nikons and Canons may be different, because the third party vendors sell different items for the two brands.

Dan

Real Name
    Yes

I have a cheap Chinese release, cost £8 - works well.
    I also have a Hahnel Giga T Pro 2. This great kit has a major flaw. In standard use, as a push button radio release, even with options set, it turns off after one minute. No way to change this. And by turn off it means press and hold button to turn on, and if required move to the programmed operation one wishes to use. No working slowly, camera on tripod, frame it, check exposure parameters, wait for that person to walk out of the frame, perfect, release - bugger, the release has turned off again, so I miss the picture. if discreetly taking shots with remote in pocket one finds the images were not taken. For anything where one is taking time between frames it is useless.
    The Hahnel Giga T Pro 2 is a deeply flawed piece of kit, well mine is.

Real Name
    Dan

Indeed, mine as well. the unit mounted to the camera does not turn off, but the trigger does. I did not mention that because for my uses (as a substitute for a cable release for macro and night photography), this is not a big deal, but I can see that it would be for Loosecanon's uses.

I no longer have the Chinese one that did not work, so I can't tell you the brand.