Thread: Picnic at Hanging Rock

Real Name
    Soozie

Picnic at Hanging Rock

Hi Ladies and Gents,

It has been quite a while since I ventured in here. Ill health has kept me fairly quiet. After many months of recovering from a back operation I have ventured out to see if I have the stamina, the eye and the passion to take some more pics. Happy to say that I think I still have the eye, definitely have the passion and almost have the stamina hehe

The one I have uploaded here is a favourite of mine. I attempted to capture the eeriness of the Rock, and in my mind I almost did. I have a very vivid imagination and could almost hear the panpipes and the girls laughing (from the movie).

I am happy with the composition although perhaps there is something I could have done to make this a more compelling story - but I cant put my finger on it.

Your feedback would be appreciated ... oh and if you have the inclination please feel free to browse through my Flickr account to see how my skills have changed over the last 12 months.

Picnic at Hanging Rock
    Hanging Rock by Soozie_Lou_B, on Flickr

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Picnic at Hanging Rock

Soozie - Welcome home!

Great to see you posting again and I hope that your ongoing road to recovery is smooth.

With this one the thing that hits you is the sky. It looks like this is a blend and that big patch of sky behind the left-hand tree is blown, whilst the sky behind the branches is not. So, some more work needing done with the layers and masks.

Real Name
    Soozie

Hi Donald and many thx for the warm welcome.

I still haven't managed to master masks and layers yet so this pic has only had minimal processing done. It remains as the single layer, as taken. I will have a go at your suggestions tho as my time is my own for a little while longer as going to work is not yet allowed.

Your feedback is welcome

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Soozie B View Post
    ... oh and if you have the inclination please feel free to browse through my Flickr account to see how my skills have changed over the last 12 months.
    Those that stopped me scrolling and made me look were:

• Nature Path
    • Maco Mushie
    • All of the raindrop images

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I'm as sorry to learn of your back problems as I'm glad to learn that you're returning to full strength.

Darken and brighten areas of the image so you lead the viewer's eye to see what you want to be seen.

Real Name
    Soozie

Care to enlighten me as to what captured your attention with those particular shots Donald? I was just playing around with the rain last weekend in my back yard for the raindrops ... Didn't even realise they were of any value

Real Name
    Soozie

Thanks Mike

I have a fair way to go before I'm back to my old self if ever. Back surgery is not something I would recommend.

I will also try to make your suggested changes as this pic really grabs my imagination.

Many thx for the feedback

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Care to enlighten me as to what captured your attention with those particular shots Donald?
    The lighting.

In each of them, the light is used in the way that Mike suggested above, to manage and direct attention. As we know, photography is all about light. These pictures use it in way that are creative and interesting.

Real Name
    Soozie

Hmmmm thanks Donald,

I shall go back to them and replay it in my head. What I obviously achieved in all of the mentioned pics wasnt calculated so therefore perhaps I need to stop trying so hard and go back to shooting from my heart!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

... go back to shooting from my heart!
    BINGO!!! Do that and the rest will then fall into place.

Shoot from teh heart, but then analyse what it is that's making you feel whatever it you feel about the image you've made. The you'll raise your consciousness level and be able to 'see' those sorts of opportunities much more clearly.
    Last edited by Donald; 20th July 2013 at 04:41 PM.

Real Name
    Soozie

Donald, I have missed your comments, you are so very wise and helpful.