Thread: Canvas look

Real Name
    Glenn

Canvas look

Messing about last night and did this C&C please don’t now if I like it?

Canvas look

Real Name
    Tim

Re: Canvas look

Glenn, I think this is a cool effect, it may be just what you need to create sales.
    In the U.S.- Farmers Markets are popular and I think this type of print would do well.

Real Name
    Richard

I like the look. How did you do it?

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Always wondered about the blank space between borders and how to achieve this. Whatever library I have consists of coloured borders.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Quote Originally Posted by HaseebM View Post
    Always wondered about the blank space between borders and how to achieve this. Whatever library I have consists of coloured borders.
    I use PS Elements 10. To produce a quick, simple border, I go into Canvas Size - Image/Resize/Canvas Size (NOT Image Size) and increase by a suitable amount. You can choose the colour that the new canvas shows. So, if you repeat increasing the Canvas Size using different colours, you have the look you are asking about.

Hope that helps.
    Graham

Real Name
    Richard

Haseeb,

A belated welcome to CiC!

I also use the system Graham describes above. I have standardized on a three phase border.

Canvas look

My standard border consists of a .1 inch black border next to the image, followed with a .1 inch white and further followed by a 2 inch black border. I am an American so I still use the antiquated English inches and feet standard. However working in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, you can use the metric system if you so desire. I have never used another type of editing program so I cannot advise you regarding GIMP or some other program.

Like I said, I do it the way Graham mentioned above. By the way, you need to have the "relative" box checked in Photoshop and (I think) in PSE. You can also anchor borders by using the arrow system.

You can adjust the size of the borders in anyway you desire and also adjust the color. You can even choose a specific color by using the drop down extension color menu and choosing "other". Some photographers use a tri-color system like mine but, choose a color which is prevalent in the image instead of white. I once experimented with this but, didn't like it all that well.

I have created a Photoshop Action which places my standard border around my images with a single stroke of two keys. Actually, I have two actions. One is the size I mentioned above and another is reduced to .05 black - .05 white - .5 black; which I use for images that are smaller.

Of course you can select any combination of borders you like. Here is a two-tone white and black border with a small white and larger black border.

Canvas look

Some people like his type of border better than my three-phase border because they consider mine to be too "busy". But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I like my borders...

OTOH, if I plan on printing my images with borders; I will use a very narrow black border (.1 or .2 inches) to set off a larger white border of about 2 inches...

Canvas look

I do his because my printer uses no ink to print a white border but uses considerable ink for a large black border...

Another advantage to placing borders on my images this way is that the borders are formed "outside' the image area. If I used the supplied borders of my NIK software, the borders are placed inside the image area and sometimes interfere with the image like the border does to the rear of this Turkish woman.

Canvas look

I have never used the supplied Photoshop Elements borders so I don't know how they work.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 29th July 2013 at 11:42 PM.

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Thank you Graham, I will try this out tonight.

Thank you Richard for the exhaustive explanation coupled with lovely samples. Thoroughly enjoyed your pictures and had to laugh when you mentioned what the border does to the rear of that woman. ( sorry couldn't resist ).

Real Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    I use PS Elements 10. To produce a quick, simple border, I go into Canvas Size - Image/Resize/Canvas Size (NOT Image Size) and increase by a suitable amount. You can choose the colour that the new canvas shows. So, if you repeat increasing the Canvas Size using different colours, you have the look you are asking about.

Hope that helps.
    Graham
    I do it that way, also , Graham, but haven't done it a lot. I've done each individually, but wonder if we can create an action for it?

Real Name
    Richard

I am not sure if Photo Shop Elements has the capability to record/play an action like the Photoshop capability. At least, when I was using PSE-9, I couldn't figure out how to use actions. BTW: I took a PSE-9 course and the instructor did not know how to record an action. Perhaps someone with a better PSE background than I could clarify that point?

Later editions of PSE are very powerful programs and are probably the best "bang-for-your-buck" in photo editing software. I purchased my copy of PSE-9 st the Costco Discount Membership Store and it cost me right around $50 U.S. Dollars. I do like Photoshop CS6 better than any PSE edition I have used but, didn't purchase that program until Adobe had a one-day sale at various On-Line photo suppliers. I suspect that Adobe did this to move out the final boxed Photoshop editions prior to going to an all-subscription service. I was lucky to spot that sale at a Boston, Massachusetts vendor.

I have not worked with other editing programs, either free or paid. So I cannot remark on those capabilities. What I will say is that, IMO, any digital photographer cannot get the best imagery straight-out-of-camera. Virtually ALL digital imagery can benefit from some post processing; whether that PP is done with Photoshop, PSE, Gimp or any other program!

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Acting on Graham and Richard's inputs I managed to get this canvas white border. Fine but how do I get a dual or three phased border? There are arrow keys marked which I figured are to do with creating canvas below or right / left to add text but that's about it. By now its quite obvious I am not processing savvy but I do enjoy a bit of creativity and happy to learn. Here's my effort which at best would provide for a sniffle or two.

Canvas look

So what do I do to add those additional borders? Thanks.

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Okay got it! Saw a tutorial and understood. Thanks now I can make double borders.

Canvas look

Real Name
    J stands for John

Quote Originally Posted by HaseebM View Post
    Deleted as Haseeb has found his answer for the programme he uses

EDIT 2 ... there is one caution with very narrow borders if making for projection that if one or two pixels wide they may get 'lost' by the projector. I normally make a 5 pixel border at around 1000 pixel pictures.
    Last edited by jcuknz; 4th August 2013 at 02:13 AM.