Thread: Bentleys on Parade

Real Name
    John

Bentleys on Parade

At a local race meeting it just so happened that when competitors were called forward for the next race, these beautiful Bentleys came and waited in line together before any other cars arrived. I've tried to make the treatment appropriate to these venerable old veterans but I would value opinions from the forum.

Fuji X Pro1
    14mm lens
    1/40th sec @f16 ISO 200

Bentleys on Parade

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Re: Bentleys on Parade

John, nice image. I also like its hazy background. What year were these automobile's made? For me this car style is the quintessential sport's car. If I ever have money to burn I would love to have one.

karm

Real Name
    Lex

Nice shot. I think the local contrast enhancement is a little high - looks HDR-ish. Not terribly flattering for smooth surfaces like the Bentleys' hoods.

Do you have any shots of them going round? Love seeing those old positive-cambered beasts thrashing.

Real Name
    John

Thanks Karm, thanks Lex. Lex, the treatment is deliberate. I wanted a more illustrative feel, the sort of colouring you used to see in 1950s magazines. Wasn't sure if I had succeeded or if it works. I'll see what else I had on the day. The circuit is a hill circuit and although from a spectator viewpoint it is excellent, getting close to the track for photography was difficult.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Nice 1920's Bentleys, John. The last couple of cars look a little too contrasty compared to the closer hazy background on the right - the 4th car is pretty much the same distance from the camera as the BMW on the right - unless this is caused by exhaust fumes.

How are you finding the focus speed on the X Pro1?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I do like the mood and atmosphere that the processing has brought to the final image.

Pity about the modern day safety headgear. Cloth caps and leather goggles would have looked better. But I suppose that's progress!

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    Nice 1920's Bentleys, John. The last couple of cars look a little too contrasty compared to the closer hazy background on the right - the 4th car is pretty much the same distance from the camera as the BMW on the right - unless this is caused by exhaust fumes.

How are you finding the focus speed on the X Pro1?
    No Phil it's a deliberate bit of processing. I wanted to bring out the Bentleys from what was pretty cluttered surroundings and so I de-saturated the background areas. Sometimes works , sometimes it doesn't.

The X pro focus speed got a bad press at launch but Fuji listened and subsequent firmware updates have improved it significantly. I deliberately used it on the day because I wanted to see if it would handle sporting challenges. It will but probably not as well as an SLR. The only real problem I had was that when I was using the OVF, it insisted on switching to the EVF in order to display a preview after every shot. The delay made consecutive shot of the same action impossible to capture. However, I have since learned how to switch this off so I might try again. The truth is that the camera isn't perfect but the quality is so good and it's such a handy size that you tend to forgive the odd foible.
    Last edited by John 2; 19th July 2013 at 10:18 PM.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I do like the mood and atmosphere that the processing has brought to the final image.

Pity about the modern day safety headgear. Cloth caps and leather goggles would have looked better. But I suppose that's progress!
    That's Health and Safety Donald although I can't imagine anyone turning one of these over.