Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Brave Little Dog

Real Name
    Richard

Brave Little Dog

We rescued Liberty, a Maltese-Poodle mix, from a Los Angeles, California shelter the day before she was going to be euthanized. The shelter said that she had a "problem" with her leg or hip.

X-rays by our orthopedic vet revealed that liberty's "problem' was that her femur had been shattered and was in several pieces. I don't know how she was able to walk but, she did. She was either kicked or hit by a car. The injury was old and she had obviously been suffering for months...

She has had surgery and now has a rod inserted with another rod outside her leg to provide support. You can see the outside support rod wrapped in yellow...

Brave Little Dog

The vet wants her to exercise the leg and we walk her slowly so that she puts weight on the leg. She is doing very well and we are extending the amount of time and distance she is walking.

Brave Little Dog

She will have some additional surgery to remove the hardware after her femur has healed. The vet says that the prognosis is excellent for her to be able to walk normally again. Best of all, Liberty has a furever family waiting for her and will adopt her as soon as her rehabilitation is complete.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Brave Little Dog

Richard - You continue to demonstrate to me and, I'm sure, to others, the great devotion and commitment you have to the welfare of these little fellas. It really does serve as an example of kindness and caring.

Real Name
    Glenn

Well done to you for saving this gorgeous little dog with a very cheeky face give Liberty a big treat from me.

Real Name
    Travis

Nice work Richard, both with your photographs and your love of animals. My kind of person. Keep up the good work.

Real Name
    Grahame

Good luck to Liberty in making a full recovery. We expect to see another picture once she has had the hardware removed.