Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dog in the landscape

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Dog in the landscape

When we took on the full-time care of my dad's dog at the beginning of 2013 (because of my dad's ill-health), I said that there would probably be lots of images of him (the dog) getting posted.

Well, I think I've been reasonably controlled and not overdone it or bored you with lots of my 'aaahh' pictures (although there are now lots and lots of them on the computer).

But my mind turned to the fact I what I like doing is landscape and to thoughts of whether I could make decent pictures that featured Garry (that's his name) in the landscape. During our recent holiday/vacation on the small island of Gigha, I thought I'd try it out.

Be interested to read whether you think I'm onto something, or whether I'd be better dropping the idea.

Dog in the landscape

Dog in the landscape

Dog in the landscape

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Dog in the landscape

Very interesting idea, Donald. Infinitely more interesting than forcing our significant other to step out to give some perpective, and not nearly so vain as Matthew Brady using himself in all his Getttysburg shots.

I suppose the challenge will always be in deciding whether the shot will be a "landscape" shot, or a "dog" shot. Would you have shot the landscape this way had not the dog been in it, or would you have shot the dog this way if the landscape weren't behind him? It will require great discipline, I think, to avoid compromising both.
    Last edited by kdoc856; 18th July 2013 at 09:36 AM. Reason: typo

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think you make a very good point, Kevin. The thing has got to work as a whole. No use shooting a nice landscape and putting a dog into it just for the hell-of-it. And vice versa. So, I suspect it's something that could be called a compromise, but I don't see it that way. It will be what works in terms of landscape and dog together. Might not be the most brilliant landscape, or the most brilliant dog shot, but it will be an image that brings good cohesion between the two.

Real Name
    Kevin

I completely agree. This will not be something that an equation can be applied to. I expect there will be intangibles that ineffably come together, or don't. Probably a lot of throw-aways, intermingled with an occasional absolute stunner. A series well worth pursuing, I think.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    good cohesion between the two.
    Sometimes the cohesion will be in the form of tension. As an example, that's one reason I like the second one the best: The path is there but Garry won't walk on it. There are lots of other very nice aspects to like about the image as well.

The third one doesn't work for me because I wonder whether the primary subject is Garry or the bench.

Real Name
    Louise

A good subject for your photos Donald. I prefer the #2 picture because Garry seems to invite someone to walk with him. As your four legged friend has a convenient black and white fur coat, he should fit in nicely with your usual style. I would see him beside an old wood barn or a rocky beach, with a turn of the century look finish to the paper maybe...

Real Name
    Natalie

Donald, I really like these shots. In the first one, though, I feel he needs more space in front of him...less behind....the second and third are great as is. I think both shots would stand alone without the dog, but putting him in it adds a little something. You have so many possibilities!

Real Name
    John

He second one for me also. I think that I would have preferred Gary a little to the left but he works for me in this shot.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Donald, I do applaud your undertaking...the balance of pet/milieu that you cite is a concern.
    I might suggest that you put yourself in your father's mind...where did he romp with his friend?
    Then take/create that image...for your dad.

Real Name
    Richard

Donald, I really think that you have a nice theme going here. Dog portraits enhanced by the environment or the environment enhanced by the dog. It's a win-win situation. And, I don't think there is a better breed to do this with than the border collie...

Real Name
    Terri

I also like the second one the best. He does seem to be asking you to join him down the path. I think the 3rd one is a pretty picture but it makes me wonder why the dog is there.