Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Petrified Wisconsin Swiss Cheese??

  1. #1
    rtbaum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Albertville, Mn
    Posts
    1,521
    Real Name
    randy

    Petrified Wisconsin Swiss Cheese??

    Giant Earthworms on Steroids???

    I'm entertaining guesses on what made these holes in basalt.

    Petrified Wisconsin Swiss Cheese??

    Petrified Wisconsin Swiss Cheese??

  2. #2
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,709
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Petrified Wisconsin Swiss Cheese??

    These were made by our neanderthal ancestors.

    The neanderthal camera club (Wisconsin chapter) was out one day on a dinosaur shoot. The Nikon users were so frustrated that they couldn't produce the same quality of images that their Canon using colleagues were making, that they smashed their cameras onto, what was then, the soft mud and created these holes. Then they went off to the camera store and bought Canons!

    Or maybe there's some other explanation!
    Last edited by Donald; 18th July 2013 at 07:35 AM.

  3. #3
    rtbaum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Albertville, Mn
    Posts
    1,521
    Real Name
    randy

    Re: Petrified Wisconsin Swiss Cheese??

    Maybe,Donald,...maybe!

  4. #4
    Digital's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Carrollton, Georgia (USA)
    Posts
    2,127
    Real Name
    Bruce

    Re: Petrified Wisconsin Swiss Cheese??

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    These were made by our neanderthal ancestors.

    The neanderthal camera club (Wisconsin chapter) was out one day on a dinosaur shoot. The Nikon users were so frustrated that they couldn't produce the same quality of images that their Canon using colleagues were making, that they smashed their cameras onto, what was then, the soft mud and created these holes. Then they went off to the camera store and bought Canons!

    Or maybe there's some other explanation!
    Donald, what was the Wisconsin chapter doing in Minnesota? Also you have it backwards: the Canon owners were frustrated that THEY could not produce as good as pics as the Nikon users.

    Bruce

  5. #5
    davidedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cheshire, England
    Posts
    3,042
    Real Name
    Dave

    Re: Petrified Wisconsin Swiss Cheese??

    More seriously, I believe that sink holes can occur in basalt when lava tubes collapse, which looks like what might have happened here (any geologists out there)

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North West of England
    Posts
    6,186
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Petrified Wisconsin Swiss Cheese??

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    These were made by our neanderthal ancestors.

    The neanderthal camera club (Wisconsin chapter) was out one day on a dinosaur shoot. The Nikon users were so frustrated that they couldn't produce the same quality of images that their Canon using colleagues were making, that they smashed their cameras onto, what was then, the soft mud and created these holes. Then they went off to the camera store and bought Canons!

    Or maybe there's some other explanation!
    No Donald, it happened because the Canon owners spent a long time failing to prove that Canon cameras are the equal of Nikon cameras and they forgot to stop digging!

  7. #7
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,709
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Petrified Wisconsin Swiss Cheese??

    Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    No Donald, it happened because the Canon owners spent a long time failing to prove that Canon cameras are the equal of Nikon cameras and they forgot to stop digging!
    Love it!

    Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    More seriously, I believe that sink holes can occur in basalt when lava tubes collapse, which looks like what might have happened here (any geologists out there)
    Ah hah! Hadn't thought about that one. I was thinking along the lines of water erosion (i.e. in the way that blow holes or spouts are created), but Dave's explanation, looking at the nature of the holes and hollows, makes more sense.

  8. #8
    rtbaum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Albertville, Mn
    Posts
    1,521
    Real Name
    randy

    Re: Petrified Wisconsin Swiss Cheese??

    Donald, follow your instincts! When one of the several ice ages passed, the glacial river passed through and formed eddies. Sand and gravel bored out the potholes in the basalt, much like a hydraulic drill. The river valley itself formed in a crack caused by an ancient earthquake.

  9. #9
    shreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,301
    Real Name
    Ian

    Re: Petrified Wisconsin Swiss Cheese??

    ....and on the eight day, the Nikon God removed the ground from beneath the feet of any Canon owners as penance and they fell to the centre of the earth, to be consumed in fire and brimstone.

  10. #10
    Digital's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Carrollton, Georgia (USA)
    Posts
    2,127
    Real Name
    Bruce

    Re: Petrified Wisconsin Swiss Cheese??

    Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    ....and on the eight day, the Nikon God removed the ground from beneath the feet of any Canon owners as penance and they fell to the centre of the earth, to be consumed in fire and brimstone.
    Amen.

    Bruce

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •