Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Upgrading an EF-S 18-55mm

Upgrading an EF-S 18-55mm

Hello all,

I'm in the process of looking around for a new lens for my Canon 20d. At this stage, i'm thinking about buying a EF 17-40L.
    My question is, how would the field of view of the of this lens @ 17mm (F/4) compare to my current one @ 18mm (F/3.5). I'm no expert on the matter, however due to the focal ratio's I would imagine they would be much the same. Would this be correct?

Also, if anyone has any other lens suggestions please feel free to chip in. My main shooting interest is in landscape photography.

Cheers
    Rodney

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Upgrading an EF-S 18-55mm

Hi Rodney,

Because of the 1.6 crop factor on the 20D the short end of the 17-40 will appear to be about 27mm and the long end 64mm which is roughly what you've got now (29-88).

Are you looking to improve the quality of the lens or obtain a different focal range?

Peter

Real Name
    Allen

Either way you answer Peter's question... You will not regret the purchase of this lens in comparison to the kit 18-55mm lens. The 1 stop difference is minimal considering the quality improvement in glass.

Allen...

I shoot with a Canon 40D and use Canon 17-40 IS L and Canon 24-105 IS L lenses. I am very satisfied and am getting images which are in the main tack sharp. I do mainly landscape work

Thank you Peter, Allen and Johan for your help.

For anyone else out there wanting to upgrade their kit lens, here is some more info you might find handy:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/C..._lens_upgrade/

Cheers
    Rodney