Thread: My first Stereo 3D image.

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

My first Stereo 3D image.

Suggestions and images from others would be helpful. I was pleasantly surprised when the Gif animation started giving me that 3D look. I did not knew a thing about Stereo 3D till I read on CiC' tutorials. Thanks.

I find there is no option for GIF animation or is there? Anyway, I have also uploaded on google+ and will post the link here.
    Last edited by HaseebM; 14th July 2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: no GIF animation

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: My first Stereo 3D image.

Nice image, however I do not like what is has done to the back ground, I feel that just using a shallow depth of field would have given a much nicer background.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    J stands for John

I am not sure I understand what you are showing us but my feeling for the photograph is the distracting bright leaves in the background left. If you has stepped left a pace or two you would have got a nice suitable background to be out of focus behind the flowers. Trouble with that would be the flowers being flatter, more side on. Did think if you had an assistant they could have turned the flowers to more face-on for you [ or if you were using a tripod you could use the 10 second delay and do it yourself ] I cannot turn the flowers in PP but one can get rid of the bright leaves.
    A tighter framing would help too.
    edit ... darkening the foliage just to flower's right would help to make them 'pop'
    Last edited by jcuknz; 14th July 2013 at 09:21 PM.

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Okay, the animation option is not available but if you go to this link at google+ https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...MKwk775lbalqQE the GIF animation works well.

To clarify, I shot this picture through a window with a zoom lens so practically had very little room to maneuver. While the image itself isn't great ( and your comments rightly say so ), what I liked was the 3D effect after I combined two of these images shot at slightly different angles to put to test the tutorial I learnt here. Now that was indeed satisfying.

Real Name
    Dave

That's better, now with the link I can see what you are doing. Interesting idea, though I don't think I'll be using it much.

Thanks for posting, Dave

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Thanks Dave! I too may not use this much but its good to know this technique works.

Real Name
    J stands for John

There is an interesting thing that I have noticed with 3D films that apart from a few gimmic shots what looks 'good' is simply the compositions that photographers have been using since almost photography began. Just becuase you have 3D which I don't see in the still posted here the photo has the potential of a good composition ... that you couldn't move simply means you need to finish the job in editing which I did in a rough way to demonstrate what I am talking about rather than giving you an exhibition image.
    Note ... I used to be a 3D enthusiast after the 1950's burst of enthusiasm for it and prior to emmigrating saw numerous films at the National Film Theatre on South Bank. Apart from Norman McLaren's [ NFBC ] I doubt if they would inspire much enthusiasm in me today

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Thanks jcuknz. I would be happy to learn a bit about editing if you have the time.

Real Name
    J stands for John

LOL Haseeb ... I wouldn't start to try and teach you about editing as when I read threads here it is brought back to me just how little I know despite doing it for a decade. Firstly you need an editing programme which gives you the tools to work with.
    My choice way back was Paint Shop Pro, that was before PSE came on the market and Photoshop was too expensive for me.
    Note that Lightroom while very good is not an editor in the sense of PSP,PSE,GIMP and PS For a cheap play you could download for free Paint.Net which is quite competant if IMO a bit 'clunky' compared to the others mentioned.

The essence of editing can be summed up as practice and appreciation of what 'looks right' ... this ignores the huge fields of photo manipulation which doesn't 'look right' but 'looks good'

I'd like to help but sorry I am ducking for cover.

In my opinion it looks a bit odd that your anchor point seems to be the mid section of the top left stem, it seems as though it mimics an unnatural head movement. I'm not offering solid advice though, I took my first stereo image just today.
    I had the primary subject be the anchoring point, and moved the camera 8-10 inches horizontally for the second frame. My result doesn't give any credit to my suspicion on where the anchor should be though, as upon review I believe my horizontal travel should have been halved. I was 3-4 yards from the pump for anyones future reference.

Real Name
    Greg

This thread should carry a health warning: that image could trigger a seizure

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Hi Jcunknz, not to worry and I honestly didn't expect you to give me a full tutorial. :lol: I do have both PSE 9 as well as PSPX4 so hopefully I follow what you said and churn out images to my liking. Thanks.

Bloodbath: I did not take any new images thus your point ( rightly so ) with regard to anchoring point. The image posted above was taken a year back and while going through my library, found two of them taken at different angles. I recall shooting them through a window a floor up. I just combined them with a stereo player and was surprised at the result which I shared here.

That's a nice example you made. Greg sorry for this thread though how Bloodbath managed the animation beats me.