Thread: Somewhere near Banff

Real Name
    John

Somewhere near Banff

This was a coach stop on the way to catch a train in Banff but just exactly where it is escapes me. I really must keep a notebook with me.

Somewhere near Banff

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Re: Somewhere near Banff

Hi John:
    I'm heading to Banff in late September. Thanks for the inspiration.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Nice shot John, lovely colours.

We visited the Canadian Rockies last year and it is a wonderful place in my opinion (and not bad for photography either !). I believe you have a shot of Mt Rundle there, probably taken from the Two Jack Lake picnic ground. I didn't actually get a shot from that vantage point but took some in nearby areas such as Johnstone Lake and Cascade Pond. This area is just to the north of Banff. I have an ebook which lists all the good vantage spots for photographers in this area, with sample photos.

Dave
    Last edited by dje; 14th July 2013 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Corrected mountain name

Real Name
    Terri

This is a beautiful composition and colors!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    I have an ebook which lists all the good vantage spots for photographers in this area, with sample photos.
    As one who has visited the area twice, I encourage you to share the information about that eBook so others can benefit from it.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Very nice photo that represents the general area well.

Two suggestions for improving it: There seems to be a person dressed in red behind the tree on the right. Do some cloning to eliminate the red clothing. Also consider cropping to eliminate about half of the sky.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    As one who has visited the area twice, I encourage you to share the information about that eBook so others can benefit from it.
    Mike I have referred to these books before in one or two threads. But many would not have seen these and I'm happy to share the source again. I found these books invaluable as they give a lot of detailed information that photographers are interested in (detailed location, best vantage points, time and light information, seasonal variances etc). They also contain some great photos. They cost $10 each and can be found here. I have the last three, Icefields Parkway, Jasper and Banff.

Dave

Real Name
    Dan

Really a nice composition and lovely colors. Not bad for a roadside stop that you can't even recall

I agree with Mike regarding cropping a bit of the sky and maybe just a strip off the bottom also to render a pano.

Real Name
    John

Thanks all for your kind comments. Dave, Two Jack Lake it is. As soon as I read your post, it reminded me. How can you forget a name like that ? Mike/Dan - do you know, I have never spotted that spot of red before and your right it should go. Not sure about the crop though. I wouldn't like to lose the base of the tree at the bottom Dan and as for the sky, it's true that a crop from the top would work and even move the horizon further from the centre line but I quite like the feeling of space. To me, living in a relatively crowded country, that's what the Rockies were all about.