Thread: Do i have to edit ?

Real Name
    ahmed

Do i have to edit ?

Do I have to edit the picture after shooting it if it was a portrait ? .. And what kinds of photography that I dont need to edit on the pics ?

Real Name
    Phil Page

Re: Do i have to edit ?

Well it all depends, Ahmed! As little or as much as your shot requires in your eyes.

Of course, if you're shooting portraits then you might use some different techniques for smoothing skin, clearing blemishes, subtly (I hope) brightening eyes and teeth etc.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    As little or as much as your shot requires in your eyes.
    Perfect response.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

While I quite agree with both Phil and Mike, I think their answer needs a bit of explanation, as it depends on what is good enough for you. For some people, especially if they have adjusted their cameras (contrast, saturation, etc.) and they are going to post snapshots on the internet, then the answer is no.

If you are trying to get into serious photography either as a hobbyist or commercial photographer, then the answer is most certainly yes. I have rarely, if ever found a shot straight out of the camera to be good enough and I do spend a minute or two cleaning up most of my shots; sharpening, adjusting the contrast or exposure (globally or in spots), tweaking the hue and vibrance, etc.

I also shoot so I have to crop. Images out of a camera never fit the format I am shooting for; whether than is the computer screen or print, so I leave a bit of space around the image so that I can adjust things to the final format. None of this takes more than a minute or two.

If I am looking at a serious shot, I might spend a bit longer performing more major surgery, removing or toning down distracting elements and spending more time on localized adjustments. While I try to "get it right in the camera", that is not always possible and these things do need fixing.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

While I agree in total with the previous folks, I might submit this question Ahmed,
    do you see that image with your mind or...do you see it with your eyes?
    Either viewpoint requires a different level of post processing.

As a side note and off topic, when I take any image, I subscribe to this advice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpHMuK7Htic

Most of my friends never edit anything. Straight from their phone cameras onto the internet. They can't understand why I take so many shots and spend so much time editing them!

It depends on what sort of quality image you require, Ahmed.

Real Name
    Kevin

Ahmed,

Also consider whether you are shooting RAW or JPEG. JPEG images will be edited in camera, and may be perfectly suitable for viewing and sharing. Most of us here shoot primarily RAW which renders the image with no adjustments, essentially ALL of which will benefit from post-processing. If you are not currently using an editing software, we can suggest some that are quite good and require very little familiarity to get good results immediately.

Real Name
    J stands for John

It is quite wrong to suggest that if you shoot jpg you have to make the camera do the editing. This is a popular falacy in photo circles by those advocating shooting in raw. In any case for 'real' editing one uses the same tools after one has converted the raw file into a workable file for editing, even for simple basic stuff

After a lifetime of largely working with 'inferior' tools I am well aware that it is highly desirable to try and shoot what you want the final result to be ... ie 35mm when MF was 'the thing', 8mm when 16mm was likewise, 16mm for Television. 3.3Mp in early digital days etc
    Commercial imperatives can justifiably require one to shoot wide and crop for the use but for best quality with your Fuji tool you shoot what you want. Even with 14Mp it still applies though there is greater tolerance than with a 3.3Mp file. That is why you have a long zoom to help you to be selective instead of 'getting it all in'. The newbie doesn't know how to be selective ... it is a skill one hopes you will acquire, a lot do not ever.

And even after you have done all that you still need the editor to produce the presentable image. It is an integal part of the process but as Phil put it 'as much as is needed'.

'In camera' you are in a poor position to make a considered command descision, but in editing you have time to consider and try different options. 'In camera' you should organise a file that permits you to do this, as I gather on reading recently, what Ansel Adams used to do That actually is a good argument for shooting raw though you may not need to and many shoot raw+jpg when their gear permits though mainly using the jpg ... but they have the raw file for when it is really needed. [ I am almost converted to this approach ]
    Last edited by jcuknz; 13th July 2013 at 10:31 PM.

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

No. All types.

Editing is not a need; it is a preference. I like the editing stage and have grown to like it more and more the better I get at it. If you don't want to edit, don't. There are plenty of rules in life without adding more to a hobby that I hope helps you escape. Editing is like quicksand, however. Once you start to do it and see the results you are able to get with just a simple trick or two, you will find yourself getting deeper and deeper. First, you use the camera brand's free software. Then, you pay for a software system (elements, lightroom, etc.), then you buy a plug-in or ten. That solid land of no editing will get completely out of reach. So, good luck. I expect questions about the best software system to come next. I like Elements.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Brev00 View Post
    Editing is not a need; it is a preference.
    Humans have only three needs: food, water and oxygen. Other items such as shelter will improve the quality of life and perhaps increase the amount of time one remains alive, but even shelter is a preference.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Editing is an essential part of the process irrespective of if you do it in your computer or at the local photo kiosk
    If you aim to get into the industry then going th Adobe way is probably essential but otherwise you have quite a choice, mine was Paint Shop Pro after a bad experience with an early simple adobe product [ pre-elements days ]. You will find if you can find it that any version from PSPv.8 will do everything you need photographically ... currently I am being bombaded with injunctions to get v15