Thread: This is a test...

Real Name
    Jon

This is a test...

...this is only a test.
    I posted this photo on another site and the response I got was jaw-dropping. So, I thought I would post here to see what kind of C&C I get. Be brutally honest please, I can take it
    I will let you know what was so jaw-dropping about the other site when this test is concluded.

Cheers

This is a test...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: This is a test...

I think it's a nice photo that could be improved. I'd like to see (on my calibrated monitor) less brightness and saturation in the green background. I would especially like to see the bright white lights changed to green to blend in with the background and not be so distracting.

Everything else is very nice and one of your best photos, though I suspect that you got your clothes dirty capturing it.

Real Name
    Jon

Mike, Thanks for the comments. Yes, the lawn in this area of the yard has about 1.5" of water standing in it...I got a little wet!!

Real Name
    Grahame

Ok Jon, I will be brutally honest

Firstly, I find a major difference in it's impact between being viewed small or larger in the lite box.

To me the background would be improved if it were darker than the subject.

The bright white lights are a bit distracting.

Some, not me, will say it's rubbish as it's not all sharp !

As a macro photographer (at least a learning one) myself the fact that you have captured in great detail and lighting the most interesting part, the folds in the underside you have produced a great result.

Looking at the exif data to me it appears that you have achieved this good result with the obvious limitations of the settings and gear that you had available.

Real Name
    Jon

Grahame, thank you for your comments. I agree with you on the background and the bright spots.

Real Name
    Grahame

Jon, do we have a clue here in that you only mention that you agree with the background and bright spots aspects of my comment ?

Looking forward to hearing what the jaw-dropping comment was in reference to .............

Real Name
    Dave

Aw, come on mate. This is a decent image which I, for one would have been glad to get wet knees for. Not perfect, for reasons given above. Can't imagine what the comment was. Do tell soon.

Real Name
    Jon

These are the type of comments I have come to expect here, and wish other sites would do the same. When ever I post a photo for C&C, that is what I get. You (meaning the collective group here at CiC) will always tell me what you like, what you don't like and what could be done to improve the image. This is truly a wonderful bunch of people.

OK, now for the "Jaw Dropping" comments. A week ago I was invited to join a group of local photography clubs (pro's and amateurs) forum site, which I did with high hopes. These people are all local, I know quite a few of them, this could really help me and maybe I can help others too. I posted one photo, the same one that I posted in this thread, knowing that there were some things that I would love to correct but I do not have the software to do those things...yet. The comments I got absolutely shocked me..."The little black speck midway up the stem ruins the whole image"..."If you would have bought a better camera maybe you would get a better image"...and my favorite that came from somebody that I have known for going on 30 years, "You obviously do not understand the basics of photography, you do not have an eye for capturing an image in a true form, I don't understand why you would post such an awful image. Good thing you are a plumber because your photo is **** and you will never make any money in photography!"

How is that for "Jaw Dropping"?? OK, from the top...the little black speck, yes I would like to clone that out but I don't have the software to do that and I don't think that little speck is THAT big of a deal. The background is what bothered me the most and NOBODY even mentioned that. If I had a better camera...well, I just bought a better camera and this is the results. I know people say that it is the eye, not the camera, that makes the image...but I have to admit that the new camera makes it easier to make the image how my eye sees it. For the last comment, well, I am not even going to reply to that one.
    I have always been one to take C&C quite well but I feel as if this was a personal attack. I removed myself and my photo from their site without reply.
    I just want to thank everybody here at CiC for all the help you have given me and others. This is an absolutely wonderful group of people.

Cheers,
    Jon

Real Name
    Greg

Jon, I find those comments incredible, especially the personal attack. I think you have done the right thing by removing yourself.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Quote Originally Posted by plumcrak View Post
    These are the type of comments I have come to expect here, and wish other sites would do the same. When ever I post a photo for C&C, that is what I get. You (meaning the collective group here at CiC) will always tell me what you like, what you don't like and what could be done to improve the image. This is truly a wonderful bunch of people.

OK, now for the "Jaw Dropping" comments. A week ago I was invited to join a group of local photography clubs (pro's and amateurs) forum site, which I did with high hopes. These people are all local, I know quite a few of them, this could really help me and maybe I can help others too. I posted one photo, the same one that I posted in this thread, knowing that there were some things that I would love to correct but I do not have the software to do those things...yet. The comments I got absolutely shocked me..."The little black speck midway up the stem ruins the whole image"..."If you would have bought a better camera maybe you would get a better image"...and my favorite that came from somebody that I have known for going on 30 years, "You obviously do not understand the basics of photography, you do not have an eye for capturing an image in a true form, I don't understand why you would post such an awful image. Good thing you are a plumber because your photo is **** and you will never make any money in photography!"

How is that for "Jaw Dropping"?? OK, from the top...the little black speck, yes I would like to clone that out but I don't have the software to do that and I don't think that little speck is THAT big of a deal. The background is what bothered me the most and NOBODY even mentioned that. If I had a better camera...well, I just bought a better camera and this is the results. I know people say that it is the eye, not the camera, that makes the image...but I have to admit that the new camera makes it easier to make the image how my eye sees it. For the last comment, well, I am not even going to reply to that one.
    I have always been one to take C&C quite well but I feel as if this was a personal attack. I removed myself and my photo from their site without reply.
    I just want to thank everybody here at CiC for all the help you have given me and others. This is an absolutely wonderful group of people.

Cheers,
    Jon
    Hi Jon,

You did the right thing. Critique should be objective without personal attacks, snide reamrks.

I guess your test proved fruitful after all.

Cheers...............

They really missed the boat on all counts, Jon.

As for the bit about being a plumber, this reminds me of something I saw recently. A plumber reads the charges to his customer. The customer says "That's more than I charge and I'm a lawyer." The plumber replies, "I know. I used to be a lawyer."

As for the black spot, I don't know anything about mushrooms but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a mushroom expert would know the importance of that spot. So, perhaps it should not be removed.

What software are you using? The reason I ask is that most software these days has a tool that will quickly remove that spot.

Real Name
    Jon

Mike, thanks for the comments. I am using the software that came with my Canon. There are several different programs, a couple that I have not even started to play with. Maybe it does have a clone tool and I have not found it yet. Given time I might find it.

Real Name
    Bruce

How do you spell arrogant?

Bruce

Real Name
    Grahame

Jon, I would suggest that the comments you received say more about those making them than your image.

What we must never forget, and generally people here don't, is that we all have different skill levels and the purpose of photography for many of us is as a pastime. I would find it pretty boring here is every image was 'perfect' and I had the feeling that I would not fit in or be criticised rudely if I posted anything less.

Real Name
    Jon

Grahame, you just hit the nail on the head. Every time i press the button it is for ME. This is purely a hobby, a way to relax. When I have my camera in my hands everything else does not matter. I really shouldn't care what some D-Bag says ("shouldn't" is the key word)

Quote Originally Posted by plumcrak View Post
    I really shouldn't care what some D-Bag says ("shouldn't" is the key word)
    I disagree, Jon. "D-Bag" is the operative word.