Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: The countryside worker

  1. #1
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,471
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    The countryside worker

    Hi. Just found this one, from my last visit to my uncle's farm. This is a valuable man that worked (and still works, as you can see by his worn out hands!) his entire life in the countryside, with cattle, plantations and everything else. Cropped, converted to monochrome and processed it a bit. C&C welcomed. Thank you for viewing!

    Best viewed in full size!


    The countryside worker

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,638
    Real Name
    Greg

    Re: The countryside worker

    That is an interesting character study, Otavio, the guy matches the weathered background. I might clone out the strand of barbed wire at the top.

  3. #3
    teokf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tawau
    Posts
    659
    Real Name
    Steven

    Re: The countryside worker

    I like it. I think the barbed wire give a sense of the surrounding area.

    Did you take a portrait shot of him?

  4. #4
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,471
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: The countryside worker

    Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    That is an interesting character study, Otavio, the guy matches the weathered background. I might clone out the strand of barbed wire at the top.
    Hello, Greg! Thanks for your feedback. Initially, I thought the barbed wire would be a nice element but, after your comment, I do agree it could be removed. I will clone it out later and check the result.

    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,471
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: The countryside worker

    Quote Originally Posted by Otavio View Post
    Hello, Greg! Thanks for your feedback. Initially, I thought the barbed wire would be a nice element but, after your comment, I do agree it could be removed. I will clone it out later and check the result.

    Thanks!
    Here is the edit with the wire cloned out.

    The countryside worker
    Last edited by Otavio; 9th July 2013 at 01:34 AM.

  6. #6
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,471
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: The countryside worker

    Quote Originally Posted by teokf View Post
    I like it. I think the barbed wire give a sense of the surrounding area.

    Did you take a portrait shot of him?
    Hi, Steven. Thanks for passing by. Well, that was my initially thought, but I also liked the version sugested by Greg. Anyway, we have the 2 versions now! I appreciate your feedback.

    Unfortunatelly, I do not have a decent portrait of him...

    Cheers,

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..
    Posts
    1,213

    Re: The countryside worker

    Otavio, nice image.

    karm

  8. #8
    Ken Curtis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    800
    Real Name
    Ken Curtis

    Re: The countryside worker

    Hi Otávio.

    The barbed wire never bothered me. I think your treatment by converting to monochrome was a good choice.

    The man appears to be looking at something, and we humans want to look over to see what it is. I wondered if the composition would have been a bit better if you had shown more on the left side, even if it does not show what the man was looking at.

  9. #9
    splashy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    176
    Real Name
    Splashy

    Re: The countryside worker

    Very beautiful picture, BUT I like the original with the barbed wire more.
    Makes the total picture more harsh.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North West of England
    Posts
    6,696
    Real Name
    John

    Re: The countryside worker

    That's a striking study and for me the barbed wire adds context Otavio. A well seen image and good processing.

  11. #11
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    31,140
    Real Name
    John

    Re: The countryside worker

    Very nice composition.

  12. #12
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,471
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: The countryside worker

    Quote Originally Posted by Karm Redland View Post
    Otavio, nice image.

    karm
    Hi, Karm. Thank you for viewing. I'm glad you liked it!

  13. #13
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,471
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: The countryside worker

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Curtis View Post
    Hi Otávio.

    The barbed wire never bothered me. I think your treatment by converting to monochrome was a good choice.

    The man appears to be looking at something, and we humans want to look over to see what it is. I wondered if the composition would have been a bit better if you had shown more on the left side, even if it does not show what the man was looking at.
    Hello, Ken. Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the image had no more space to the left, to try your suggestion (I did crop this image but it was the right side that had more room). Anyway, I will have this in mind for further similar opportunities.

    Cheers,

  14. #14
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,471
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: The countryside worker

    Quote Originally Posted by splashy View Post
    Very beautiful picture, BUT I like the original with the barbed wire more.
    Makes the total picture more harsh.
    Thanks, Splashy. I appreciate your feedback!

  15. #15
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,471
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: The countryside worker

    Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    That's a striking study and for me the barbed wire adds context Otavio. A well seen image and good processing.
    Thank you John, for the encouraging words. Cheers.

  16. #16
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,471
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: The countryside worker

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Very nice composition.
    Thank you very much, John. I appreciate your reply!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •