Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: More Night shots from a Beginner

Real Name
    Raymond F

More Night shots with Canon 600D(Beginner)

A few shots i did with my Canon 600D(No tripod)

More Night shots from a Beginner

Last edited by Wrathchild310; 8th July 2013 at 08:45 PM.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Re: More Night shots with Canon 600D(Beginner)

The first shot is nice as such but not terribly interesting IMO ... the second reminds me of a feeling that at least some part of an image should be 'correct' ... in this case sharp ... even in editing I couldn't arrive at sufficient sharpness of the foreground guy. You also have fallen into the trap of having your subject centre frame ... no problem in that, it is the easiest and quickness, natural thing to do ... BUT you correct matters in editing before it leaves the computer This is how I suggest you should have presented it.

Real Name
    Raymond F

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    The first shot is nice as such but not terribly interesting IMO ... the second reminds me of a feeling that at least some part of an image should be 'correct' ... in this case sharp ... even in editing I couldn't arrive at sufficient sharpness of the foreground guy. You also have fallen into the trap of having your subject centre frame ... no problem in that, it is the easiest and quickness, natural thing to do ... BUT you correct matters in editing before it leaves the computer This is how I suggest you should have presented it.

I see what you're saying.. Kind of like a rule of 1/3's thing .. I was one usually not to take critiquing pretty well.. But being as I like this profession I'm up for all kinda of advice and comments(good and bad). I appreciate it and feel the cropped picture was way more interesting than my centered photo.. As for the top one, I see there really is no subject factor.. Maybe next time ill try to Frame someone or something up before shooting randomly

Real Name
    J stands for John

With the prime subject as close as it looks as if the guy is it could be worth experimenting with firing the 'on-board' flash at the end of the exposure. It probably wouldn't be strong enough to light the car but there would be a sharp image of the man.

The wide shot also illustrates one of the problems a photographer has. This is deciding what the viewer will want to be in focus. It looks to me that you choose or let the camera focus in the distance whereas there are interesting people in the foreground which could be sharper ... sometime one can add sharpening in editing as worked with another 'night starter' with their shot taken from a bridge and was nicely improved by Colin Southern amonth or two ago. With an editor you can select an area and apply treatment to just that area. If you are resting the camera on the ground or park bench or whathave you available and use the ten second delay and leave the camera untouched during the countdown you will get as good or better than iof you used a tripod ... because not all tripods are equal. I do this as a matter of practice when I use a tripod. Mine are not the best
    Last edited by jcuknz; 9th July 2013 at 08:11 AM.