Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I See The Light

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

I See The Light

These shots were taken last week at Byron Bay, a beach town on the east coast of Australia. The lighthouse at Cape Byron is the most easterly point on the Australian mainland.

I have seen shots of this area on CiC before (from Trace and Graham) but this is my take on it.

The first shot is a wide angle taken at the beach at sunset.

The second and third shots were taken just before sunrise each with it's own light conditions. I'd be interested to hear which of these you prefer.

The fourth and fifth shots were taken just after sunrise.

Comments welcome. Pls click on image for best viewing.

Dave

I See The Light

I See The Light

I See The Light

I See The Light

I See The Light
    Last edited by dje; 28th July 2013 at 07:36 PM.

Real Name
    Greg

Re: I See The Light

I'm a sucker for sunrises, Dave, and I love the light in these shots. The warm glow on the lighthouse in the 4th is impressive. But the 2nd is my pick because the muted light travelling across the sea surface picks up the east side of the lighthouse, its beacon, the top rail of the fence, and the house. The light is more consistent in this one and seems warmer and 'cleaner' to me (if that is the word I'm looking for). In the 3rd the light in the east is more saturated but it hasn't touched the rest of the scene so it seems colder, and although the clouds are breaking up and offering more detail, they make the scene feel more cluttered to me.

Real Name
    Bruce

Dave, I like #4 the best. Beautiful light. Very good capture.

Bruce

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Dave,

Personally I think you captured the mood of the moment in #4.
    In my opinion, a great shot. Simple but with lots of mood.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

I like all of them, Dave. Do not have a favorite. Good job.

Real Name
    Susan

Hi Dave - they are all beautiful shots! And, as much as I love colors in the sky, I guess I must prefer light shining on an object. #4 is also my favorite with the golden light shining on the lighthouse.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks Greg, Bruce, Andre, Ken and Susan for your comments.

It's interesting that Greg and Susan find the light better in 2 than 3 as this is my view too. It's also interesting to hear that most prefer 4 out of the series.

Dave

Real Name
    Allan Short

Dave: I have to agree with Greg and Susan, the light in image three we see a lot, however the light in image two is more predawn and as such less people see it and do not think it is natural. If you get up early enough often enough you know that is what you can get, also how it kisses the house. After all that number 4 is the best one.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks Allan. Everyone seems to be in agreement !

Dave

Real Name
    Shane

Dave;

A lovely set of images that you should be proud of - I add my vote for #4.

Real Name
    Matthew

Stunning images. #4 is superb and I can see why so many like it the best. It is high on my list.

Personally though for some reason I prefer the last image despite some aspects of it not conforming to the general recommendations (horizon near middle, subject small, etc) It just works well for me. Maybe it's the distance, making it have more feeling of solitude (yes I like being a loner :P) and also the wider angle showing the cliff. I might have been tempted to climb the fence and try to exclude the wood railing, maybe showing more cliff and ocean if possible. But that would depend how sketchy the other side of the fence was, i.e. how close to the cliff and how crumbly the rock

Excellent job.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Shane and Matt, thanks for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingSquirrel View Post
    Personally though for some reason I prefer the last image despite some aspects of it not conforming to the general recommendations (horizon near middle, subject small, etc) It just works well for me. Maybe it's the distance, making it have more feeling of solitude (yes I like being a loner :P) and also the wider angle showing the cliff. I might have been tempted to climb the fence and try to exclude the wood railing, maybe showing more cliff and ocean if possible. But that would depend how sketchy the other side of the fence was, i.e. how close to the cliff and how crumbly the rock
    Matt your thoughts on this are pretty much in line with mine. As for climbing the fence, that was out of the question for me !

Dave