Thread: Crab

Real Name
    Grahame

Crab

These little critters are everywhere and I find many in the palms that are dried up, a pinky colour and dead but found a live one on a frond tonight.

Cut the palm leaf off, set it up on the kitchen work top and managed to get only two shots before it jumped off and decided to play hide and seek. It won and is now somewhere under a couch but I'm not worried as I'll blame the cat for bringing it inside if the other half finds it

105VR, Manual mode, f22, 1/80s, ISO 400, Mirror up, Remote control, Manual focus, 2 x SBR-200s fitted to front of lens, one full power the other half power.

Crab

It's a pity about the shadow but I never had a chance to get the lighting adjusted before he scarpered

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Crab

It's amazing that this guy hung around as long as it did. Interesting frame of reference that your part of the world has crabs fitting in the same context that most of us have for insects.

Real Name
    Andrew

Cold blooded animals are less active when they are cold. Next time while you are setting up, put the little guy in a bag in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. You'll be able to get in more shots while it warms up.

Real Name
    Greg

I like the composition, Andrew. The opposing diagonals between the fronds of the palm leaf and the legs-body-legs of the crab form a warning cross. It enhances the pugilistic 'expression' on the crab's face, and the danger lurking in its poised claws.

Real Name
    Grahame

Dan, Andrew and Greg,

Thanks for viewing and your comments.

I suspect that it was cold (or cooler) in the evening temp but once inside warmed up and realised something was not right.

To date I have resisted putting any critters in the fridge to 'slow' them down but may consider it. Not sure how I am going to blame the cat when the other half finds live creepies in bags in her fridge.

As for the danger lurking in it's poised claws it was only around 50 mm across but if you are smaller than that it would look threatening

Grahame