Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Images of a Boat Graveyard

Real Name
    Dan

Images of a Boat Graveyard

Didn't get much photography done this weekend. This was our weekend to stock the freezer with halibut so concentrated on fishing rather than photos. But when we returned to the dock in Homer,AK, we went for a walk and came across what can only be described as a boat graveyard. It was actually a yard full of boats no doubt intended for repair/reconditioning, but the reality is, few if any of them will ever leave again. Having been on or about the water my whole life, I never get tired of boats and am a real sucker for sweet lines. So when we came across these discards, one of them immediately captured my attention. She was an old fishing schooner, no doubt built in the early 20th century. Even in her state of disrepair she stood proudly apart from the rest of the hulks, standing tall and still proud in her cradle. Her name is Altair, from Arabic for "The Bird", and no doubt in her day she fairly flew when she spread her canvas. I'm no hand at B/W but this was definitely the time for it.

This one had to be done in color

I had a hard time with the composition for the full shots of Altair. Between the horizon and distracting BG elements and limited points of access, I struggled with it a bit.

Way out of my element on these so C/C will be much appreciated.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Images of a Boat Graveyard

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post

I had a hard time with the composition for the full shots of Altair. Between the horizon and distracting BG elements and limited points of access, I struggled with it a bit.
    Well, I think this is a very good composition that laid the ground for a lovely image. I think the background, including the sky, suit the subject very well. The reflection on the water gives a lighter area that allows the lines of the lower part of the hull to be well shown. The very top of the wheelhouse is just brushing the horizon and I think that is good. if it had cut the horizon it would, I think, have had the effect of splitting up the image. So, whether that was was consciously or unconsciously done, it works.

I think the B & W conversion is excellent. The emphasis on the greys in the midtones lens it a wonderful mood and atmosphere. The vignette is subtle but strong enough to bring our attention in towards the centre of the frame.

I particularly like this one a lot.

Real Name
    Grahame

Dan, thanks for sharing this interesting series and my favourite is No 2.

As someone who spent almost his entire career working on boats and at sea I always find it sad to see what was once someone's pride and joy with so many stories to tell in this condition but as you say still standing proud.

Real Name
    Steve

#2 for me.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Very nice series and explanation. I came across a similar scene while traveling in Nova Scotia and though I'm not a waterman, I can relate to your experience.

I prefer the second one to the first one mostly because the strong horizon in the first one coinciding at the top of the boat is a distraction for me. If I could have the conversion of the first one and the composition of the second one, I would be in heaven.

I also like the third one because I like that style of photography. I wonder if you could bring out the texture in the boat just a bit more without overdoing it to make me feel as if I can feel the roughness. Maybe so, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    I'm no hand at B/W
    Gotta disagree about that.

Real Name
    Bruce

I like #2 as well.

Bruce

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I did go through great pains to avoid having the horizon cut the scene in half. There were some rocks laying around that were large enough to stand upon. The BG in the first shot was pretty messy and required a good bit of cleanup. The composition in the second shot was a combination of avoiding distracting elements and wanting a quartering shot of the boat. I did fool around with the processing to try and bring out the texture to the degree I was capable.

There were a couple more interesting boats in this yard. Unfortunately I wasn't permitted enough time to shoot them as well. I guess an alternative perspective is that I spent all the time available to me with Altair. You can see she was employed in some service that required hauling heavy gear aboard. There are two area with sheathing to protect the hull from heavy things banging against it. She doesn't have much deck for traps but that seems the most logical thing. Traps are employed to catch either crab or cod.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Dan. Excellent series. I like #1, #2 and #5.

B&W in #1 and #2 is wonderful way of showing old, deteriorating and decaying objects. Well done. My preference is for a more subtle vignette than appears in #1. #2's vignette is more subtle than #1, but I think it could even be less or blended more so that the vignette is not obvious. I suspect a bunch of people will disagree with me.

The lavender lupines and green leaves in #5 provide a wonderful bit of color to otherwise bland sky and boat hull. I really like this composition.

Real Name
    Terri

These are really nice. I love the B&W treatment and my favorite is #2 followed by #4. There's something about the perspective of #2 that makes her seem stronger than in #1. I like #4 because it does give you the close-in texture of the Altair but also shows her in her environment. It just makes it a little more interesting to me than #3. But the reality is that I think all the shots are really good.