Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Beach Sunrise and Evening Light

Beach Sunrise and Evening Light

Hi folks, back home after a 2 and a half thousand kilometre jaunt around the mainland, have a few photo's up on my site (more to come) but here are a couple of my favourites...

Had the opportunity to visit one of our esteemed moderators in the flesh too! Cheers Colin - thanks for the hospitality

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Beach Sunrise and Evening Light

Hi Steve,

Great to meet you and your lovely wife too - glad you made if back home safely.

Glad to see you got a change to get the camera out in the end - I'll look forward to looking at lots more here. Where were these two taken?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Steve

Two wonderful examples of mastering light and tone. Gorgeous. But the second one goes up a further gear for me. That's magnificent.

You could get annoyed at that tree growing just a bit too much and splitting the line of the mountain against the sky. But, hey, who's quibbling when you've got an image like that. Beautiful.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Steve

Two wonderful examples of mastering light and tone. Gorgeous. But the second one goes up a further gear for me. That's magnificent.

You could get annoyed at that tree growing just a bit too much and splitting the line of the mountain against the sky. But, hey, who's quibbling when you've got an image like that. Beautiful.
    I agree, nice pics - I love the layered depth of them.

Isn't the "problem" tree prunable with a clone brush in Elements or CS, etc.?

Or is that just me over-exercising my artistic licence

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Steve,

Where were these two taken?
    Thanks Colin. Sorry should have mentioned, the top one is sunrise from Kaiteriteri beach (Just North of Motueka, top of the South Island, for those not from around these parts).

The second is last evening light from Pohara Beach, over Takaka way. My personal favourite from the whole trip actually. I was shooting in the other direction, birds, waves, sand formation etc then turned to go home when I thought the light was gone and instantly saw the layered hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Steve

Thanks Donald,
    Actually I hadn't noticed 'that' tree until you mentioned it, I'm not really into photoshopping photo's into the 'perfect' photo. I like it because it's exactly how I saw it on the night, this is straight out of the camera with just a bit of cropping for the pano look.

I see what you mean now that I look at it more though and I suppose it could be cloned out as Dave mentioned.

Thanks for the C&C though - always welcome and appreciated. Makes me look at my photo's with a different perspective.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H View Post
    I like it because it's exactly how I saw it on the night ... I suppose it could be cloned out as Dave mentioned.
    And all the better for it. Leave it alone. It's beautiful.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

I like both shots. Great use of sihouettes.

Chuck

Real Name
    Jack

Very,very nice... I like2 the best.

Awesome shots, bro. I wonder if my D60 is capable of shots like that.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I wonder if my D60 is capable of shots like that.
    'Yes' is the answer. It's not the camera that makes the image, it's the person behind it. The thing in your hand/on your tripod, is only a useless lump of metal/plastic and glass until you make it work. Granted - some of these lumps are more expensive metal/plastic and glass than other lumps. But they still need you on the other side to make them operate.

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments. I must say that this shot is probably the pinnacle of my 20+ year photographic hobby thus far - big call I know but i'm making it

I have been learning heaps this last 12 months or so and everything seemed to come together in this photograph (I took three frames on the beach). I have (I think) learnt to expose properly in the camera (not photoshop), 'see the light' and am using a tripod for 90% of my shots now.

Here is another frame with a slightly different crop and a bit more PP.

Thanks for looking and (Colin if you're reading this might have to try this one on your fandangled printer if that's alright?)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments. I must say that this shot is probably the pinnacle of my 20+ year photographic hobby thus far
    Probably a very reasonable call. If you have better ones lurking, get them up here!

Here is another frame with a slightly different crop and a bit more PP.
    Nah! Probably too influenced by the first impact of the original - which just blows you away. For me, this one throws out the relationship between the trees and the mountains.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H View Post
    I must say that this shot is probably the pinnacle of my 20+ year photographic hobby thus far - big call I know but i'm making it
    And you shot it in my neck of the woods too

Thanks for looking and (Colin if you're reading this might have to try this one on your fandangled printer if that's alright?)
    No worries Steve - just send it up as a TIFF or PSD (or full-resolution JPEG) and we'll go from there (a free account at www.sendthisfile.com works well).