Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Any American Members? - Independence Day Images?

Real Name
    Steve Shilling II

Any American Members? - Independence Day Images?

"Evesham Fireworks, Fourth of July - 2013:

I'm not sure how many American users are on here. It's a great resource for Color Management as well as a great deal more.
    Anyways, I was wondering if we couldn't see some nice examples of images involving fireworks.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Any American Members? - Independence Day Images?

Welcome to CiC!

I like your image a lot for three reasons -- that it's a monochrome (too many people feel that fireworks have to be in color), that it shows the people in the foreground, and that there are three layers (people, trees and fireworks). Very well done!

Consider getting rid of the really bright spot on the person's right shoulder in the lower left area. It's a bit distracting. Maybe get rid of some of the other bright spots among the people.

It would be great if you would edit your profile so at least your first name and your approximate location are displayed on the left side of your posts.

I look forward to seeing more of your photos and your participation in the threads started by others!

Real Name
    Steve Shilling II

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Welcome to CiC!

I like your image a lot for three reasons -- that it's a monochrome (too many people feel that fireworks have to be in color), that it shows the people in the foreground, and that there are three layers (people, trees and fireworks). Very well done!

Consider getting rid of the really bright spot on the person's right shoulder in the lower left area. It's a bit distracting. Maybe get rid of some of the other bright spots among the people.

It would be great if you would edit your profile so at least your first name and your approximate location are displayed on the left side of your posts.

I look forward to seeing more of your photos and your participation in the threads started by others!
    Thanks Mike. Completely agree with you about those spots among the people. I focus too much and I like the energy they create when my eye jumps around them...but then again that's not the main focus of the image so I'll burn them out.

As for the anonymity, I apologize. I just made the profile and completely neglected filling it out.

Thanks again for the crit. Glad you enjoy it.

Best,

-Steve

Real Name
    Greg

That is a stunning image, Steve, for the reasons Mike mentioned. I am also glad that it is not in colour - not that I work in monochrome, I just happen to think this image works really well in B&W.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I'd add my compliments (and welcome message) to what's already been written. Good to have you here Steve. I hope you enjoy it and find it helpful.

That picture is wonderfully composed and beautifully exposed. Get those right and you have a winner. And you do.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Steve, really nice image.

karm

Real Name
    Jon

Wonderfully done Steve.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by SRS2Photo View Post
    "Evesham Fireworks, Fourth of July - 2013:

I'm not sure how many American users are on here. It's a great resource for Color Management as well as a great deal more.
    Anyways, I was wondering if we couldn't see some nice examples of images involving fireworks.
    Very nice, especially the crowd.