Thread: Help with exporting for print LR4

Real Name
    Joanne

Help with exporting for print LR4

My apologies if this has been covered in previous topics....

I have a Nikon D5000 and use LR4. I tried to send a file for printing to a lab today and as hard as i tried it kept appearing as a teensy tiny file?

Is the problem with the settings in LR or the settings in my camera....I am shooting RAW.

Joanne

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Help with exporting for print LR4

Hi Joanne,

Hard to tell without knowing your workflow and your Import and Export settings (though I would bet many $'s on Lightroom!). Can you offer more details of your workflow, please.

Dave

Real Name
    Joanne

I think I may have resolved the issue. i was trying to send a photo to a person at the local print lab because I had some questions and my mail program was resizing it.

I need to remember how to send a file on my mac as an actual attachment instead of it being embedded in the email...I think...

I had better luck tweaking my export settings and attaching the file using the print lab's uploader.

Joanne

Real Name
    Hendrik

The Mac Mail program does not resize attachments, to my almost certain knowledge - at least if the option Always Send Windows-Friendly Attachments (Edit/Attachments) is selected. I send attachments all the time and receive printouts back with no sizing issues.

Perhaps you are using the Export To Email preset in Lightroom. In this case you will get by default a file resized to about 500 pixels on the longest side and with quality set to 60%. This keeps the weight of the file down for normal email purposes. You might wish to do this: With your file selected in whichever module you may find yourself
    Choose File/Export...
    Choose For Email
    Scroll down the right hand panel and, under Image Sizing, deselect Resize to fit:
    Click the ADD button at the bottom of the User Presets panel
    Name your new preset (I named mine Email - Original Size)

Then click Export. Your file will be sent to Mail and will be the pixel dimension as determined by the editing history. It will appear small in the Mail program window but it won't have been permanently resized. If, once you have sent the message, you can find the file and Get Info you will see that the pixel dimensions have been preserved. It will probably be a couple of megabytes but that's OK - 10Mb seems to be the normal cutoff for most ISPs these days. Your preset will then be available to send full-size jpgs directly to Mail.

Edited to rectify the order necessary to name a new preset (i.e., after all changes have been made - thus you may use any preset and change it - but the changes won't be sticky) and add a warning about an easy to miss Image Size: pulldown in the Mail window that IS sticky and, if not set to Original Size, may be the culprit.
    Last edited by HenkB; 6th July 2013 at 02:52 AM.

Real Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by HenkB View Post
    The Mac Mail program does not resize attachments, to my almost certain knowledge - at least if the option Always Send Windows-Friendly Attachments (Edit/Attachments) is selected.
    Apple Mail does resize unless you control it by choosing 'Actual Size' for the attachment. The control is under the address box in the main mail editor. In my experience the size defaults to 'Large' which may be smaller than the exported image.

Help with exporting for print LR4

Cheers

Tim
    Last edited by Macmahon; 6th July 2013 at 05:20 AM. Reason: spelling/clarity

Real Name
    Hendrik

I discovered that box after the original post. In my case, across all my machines, it was set to Original Size and seems to have been the default as I received the program, but I could be wrong about that since I've been using Mail as my client since I made the transition from System 9 to OSX. Anyway, many thanks for the clarification/illustration.

Real Name
    Joanne

Thanks all...problem solved. Between tweaking the settings on Export in LR and using "original Size" in Mail I am off and running!

Joanne