Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Which lens

Real Name
    Andy

Which lens

Wedding: I have been just asked by the 'happy couple' to back up their photographer tomorrow as they have just been informed the photographer they have booked has a bad reputation! Too late, I hear you all say. BUT I really need to support them. Please, please, please comment on whether I use my 50mm EF lens or 17 - 85mm EFS macro lens? & any other worldly suggestions.......
    All sensible suggestion will be greatly received.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Which lens

Andy,

The "happy couple" need to know your capabilites and agree that your coverage (although free) might not be up to professional standards. This could easily be the way to ruin a friendship!

The 50mm f/1.8 lens will be pretty restrictive; the 17-85mm might be more versatile.

I would definitely look into getting a decent hotshoe flash and a diffuser reflector such as the Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro. Learn how to effectively bounce flash and how to use that flash as fill outdoors.

A flash bracket such as the Stroboframe Camera Flip would also help. However, the flash and diffuser reflector will work quite well alone...

Most responders will recommend not shooting a wedding but, if you fee that you need to, best of luck!

This might help some: http://tips.romanzolin.com/articles/article006.php

Real Name
    J stands for John

You could also read the Flash in Church thread here on CiC. Without a flash the f/1.8 will be minimum to possibly cover the church while the other might serve for elsewhere ... if you are taking photos of the couple posing for the photographer you could get away with the on-board flash in your camera but avoid having them looking at your camera. Bill's 'Mitt' would be a good idea if you can get the hang of working with it in his way in time for the wedding.

Real Name
    Dave

So, tomorrow. Obviously, only time to go with what you have. I suggest take both lenses. Don't know what body you have, but you you could you the prime for indoor shots, and expect to have enough pixels to crop if you need to. Or just stay with the zoom and do the best you can - you should still get some decent images. Just make sure you have your biggest card and take lots. I hope the "happy couple" buy you many drinks. After you've finished shooting, of course. At least the weather looks set fair for tomorrow. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Make sure the batteries are charged in both the camera and the flash, also pray for lightly overcast sky as this will give a soft light which is easier to work with than bright light. Also better in the church as the light coming through the windows will also soft, instead of what I find at times as much as 5 stops different. Oh and did I say pray?

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Andybazyoung View Post
    Wedding: . . . I really need to support them. Please, please, please comment on whether I use my 50mm EF lens or 17 - 85mm EFS macro lens? & any other worldly suggestions......
    To primarily use the Zoom Lens is the better choice of the two lenses; but you will need a flash unit also. To take the 50mm lens would be advisable.

I have been just asked . . . to back up their photographer tomorrow as they have just been informed the photographer they have booked has a bad reputation! All sensible suggestion will be greatly received.
    To take on then role to "back up" the Professional at the behest of the B&G, who have an existing contract with a professional photographer is probably a poor choice on your part.

You (and the couple) should be aware of all the possible outcomes of this choice: including those possibilities if the Professional has an exclusivity clause in the contract and acts upon it.

This is the "Flash in Church Thread" to which jcuknz was referring

WW

Real Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    To primarily use the Zoom Lens is the better choice of the two lenses; but you will need a flash unit also. To take the 50mm lens would be advisable.

Thanks for your comment about the choice of lens William (call me Bill). Poor choice or not & contractual bit is accepted but this 'professional photographer' has failed to turn up on 2 occasions - so we will see.

To take on then role to "back up" the Professional at the behest of the B&G, who have an existing contract with a professional photographer is probably a poor choice on your part.

You (and the couple) should be aware of all the possible outcomes of this choice: including those possibilities if the Professional has an exclusivity clause in the contract and acts upon it.

This is the "Flash in Church Thread" to which jcuknz was referring

WW

Real Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Make sure the batteries are charged in both the camera and the flash, also pray for lightly overcast sky as this will give a soft light which is easier to work with than bright light. Also better in the church as the light coming through the windows will also soft, instead of what I find at times as much as 5 stops different. Oh and did I say pray?

Cheers:

Allan
    Thanks Allan, thank you & yes I am praying.

Real Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    So, tomorrow. Obviously, only time to go with what you have. I suggest take both lenses. Don't know what body you have, but you you could you the prime for indoor shots, and expect to have enough pixels to crop if you need to. Or just stay with the zoom and do the best you can - you should still get some decent images. Just make sure you have your biggest card and take lots. I hope the "happy couple" buy you many drinks. After you've finished shooting, of course. At least the weather looks set fair for tomorrow. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
    Thank you Dave, I am now feeling stitched up! Yep weather is great too
    Andy

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

. . .this 'professional photographer' has failed to turn up on 2 occasions - so we will see.
    THAT, is an entirely different kettle of kippers and places an entirely different meaning on the phrase "back-up".

Good luck.

WW

Real Name
    Grahame

Andy, Having taken a couple of 'events' this year for free as a favour for a group that could not afford a 'real/professional' photographer one of the main things I learnt was to allow my ISO to go above what I tended to always use previously which was base ISO.

I'm sure this aided my high success rate of sharp images.

Good luck with the shoot.

Real Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    THAT, is an entirely different kettle of kippers and places an entirely different meaning on the phrase "back-up".

Good luck.

WW
    Sorry for the ambiguity - I'm now starting to regret agreeing to help as I have just been told the 'happy couple' cannot get hold of the photographer! Oh well, 4 hours to go, batteries all charged & I think I felt better going into the first Gulf war.

Real Name
    Ian

Do let us know the outcome and post some of your pics afterwards.

PS Good Luck. and don't panic.......

Real Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Do let us know the outcome and post some of your pics afterwards.

PS Good Luck. and don't panic.......
    Well, you could write a comedy sketch with this. Suffice to say, to alleviate a big 'bun fight' I backed down. The photographer turned up late, angry but demanding he/she should carry on with the wedding. He/she turned up in drag OMG but seemed to know & organise people to where they should be so we are all hoping for the best. The whole episode amused everyone so it seems a good day was had by all. That's the West Country for you!!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Sounds, er um, 'interesting', Andy.

Would love to see some of this 'professional's' work. An photographer turning up late and being angry with it .... in drag!!

Sounds like a 'different' experience.

Real Name
    Ian

Andy,

Sounds like you did the right thing. Not sure what the Pro would have done if he/she had known we were discussing the 'Flash in the Church' thread!

Real Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Andy,

Sounds like you did the right thing. Not sure what the Pro would have done if he/she had known we were discussing the 'Flash in the Church' thread!
    How funny! Without wishing this fab forum becoming an 'agony aunt' thing! Today has been hilarious with loads of inappropriate comments being made elsewhere - I really now want to get back to landscape, wildlife & sport..........