Real Name
    Steve

Blue waters

Comments welcome.....................

Blue waters

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Blue waters

Nice, but I wouldn't mind seeing it bigger, say 1000 or 1200 wide, or is it already a significant crop?

Compositionally, just a shade too much dead water in front of duck (i.e. on right)?

Good effort, little to suggest to improve it.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Nice, but I wouldn't mind seeing it bigger, say 1000 or 1200 wide, or is it already a significant crop?

Compositionally, just a shade too much dead water in front of duck (i.e. on right)?

Good effort, little to suggest to improve it.
    Larger, same crop
    Blue waters

Or tighter crop
    Blue waters

Real Name

Hi Steve,

Well, the duck is the same size in both, so I'll go with the tighter crop version as the duck is all I am looking at.

It looks like a seriously relaxed duck

Although it isn't an overly noisy shot, you could try some Neat Image Noise Reduction to get a nice glossy reflection.

Being really super-critical and nit-picky (but hopefully helpful), is it sharper at the (closer to camera) rear end than the head? Sorry, I have become sensitive to such issues as I have struggled myself with focusing at 200/250mm, so at 420mm, maybe I am expecting too much.

I'd be well pleased with this shot myself and despite my comments above, I probably wouldn't go back again to tackle the things I have raised, I'd just bear them in mind for next time, or use on an alternative shot.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Steve,

Well, the duck is the same size in both, so I'll go with the tighter crop version as the duck is all I am looking at.

It looks like a seriously relaxed duck

Although it isn't an overly noisy shot, you could try some Neat Image Noise Reduction to get a nice glossy reflection.

Being really super-critical and nit-picky (but hopefully helpful), is it sharper at the (closer to camera) rear end than the head? Sorry, I have become sensitive to such issues as I have struggled myself with focusing at 200/250mm, so at 420mm, maybe I am expecting too much.

I'd be well pleased with this shot myself and despite my comments above, I probably wouldn't go back again to tackle the things I have raised, I'd just bear them in mind for next time, or use on an alternative shot.

Hope that helps,
    Now you know why i cropped it where i did,. I have a simple rule, never crop more than 1/4 of the original image (one i try to live by). If you do, you will see too much noise on a crop sensor (at least on a 10mp sensor). I usually try to fill the frame, but if i can't , i shoot for no less than 1/3 of the frame for a crop, if i can.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    ~ I have a simple rule, never crop more than 1/4 of the original image (one i try to live by). If you do, you will see too much noise on a crop sensor (at least on a 10mp sensor). I usually try to fill the frame, but if i can't , i shoot for no less than 1/3 of the frame for a crop, if i can.
    Hi Steve,

Personally, I shoot the subject and worry about that later.

Sometimes I end up with an image that's so small after cropping it doesn't need down-sizing to display here, you all get to see 1:1 ok, I can't print it, but who would look at it anyway?

I know I shouldn't crop that much and obviously I do try to fill the frame, usually by waiting for the little critter to swim closer to me and usiing those shots, but sometimes they're just too shy

So, if I don't have the benefit of the down sizing to reduce the noise, I have to do it myself with ACR and if a real issue, Neat Image.

Cheers,