Thread: PLEASE throw my ball just one more time!

PLEASE throw my ball just one more time!

Here is a pictures of my little springer boy... he is such a character and much joy and a touch of aggravation... we would not change him for anything lol.... this photo was taken in a dark room just as the last rays of sun were coming thru the window... I love the look on his face.. love the way the light hit him... I would however like to know if there is some way I can improve the graininess of this photo, in post processing. I shot this with my 7D and the ISO was 3200, f-5, SS 100.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: PLEASE throw my ball just one more time!

Quote Originally Posted by Trina View Post
    I would however like to know if there is some way I can improve the graininess of this photo,
    Don't touch it. It's gorgeous. His eye and his snout are bright.

Ok, it's a little dark and could have taken a bit more exposure (the histogram is really loaded at the left-hand side), but if more work is going to make the noise a major feature, which I think it would, then leave it.

Thank you Donald:> When I did work with the exposure slider, the noise did become a major feature..

Real Name
    John

Nice lighting.

Real Name
    Richard

Trina, great shot of a handsome boy!

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

It's a great dog portrait just as it is. I love the limited directional lighting.

Chuck

Real Name
    Travis

Great shot.

Thank you for the kind comments. This was one of those shots I was grabbing for the camera before things changed (lighting) it was moving pretty fast... This is one of my favorites of Tucker....

Real Name
    Dan

Great shot here, Trina. Whether done intentionally or not, what you did here is an effective technique to isolate a subject from the BG. In a high contrast situation like this you can use the limited dynamic range of the camera to isolate the subject from the BG. By exposing for the brighter, desirable portion of the image, the BG ends up underexposed and effectively disappears. As a matter of fact in post if you kick up the contrast even a tad more you can make the faint outline of the chair or whatever it is disappear completely. If not I'd clone it out. There are various noise reduction software options. LR has it built in. I've used NeatImage for several years with excellent results but most recently started using a Topaz plugin which works pretty well.

If you don't mind here's what I mean. Ran the Topaz NR, selectively darkened the BG, used healing brush on one little bit of BG, selectively sharpened the subject.

It really is a lovely image and you did well to recognize he moment and capture it.

Wow! Quite a difference! The white on the muzzle is so much better. That was what I was most concerned with noise wise.. and you sure made his eyes pop..... Committing more to the black background makes the whole picture look much nicer.... Thank you for showing me and explaining what you did:> I very much appreciate it.....
    Now a question on your software:> I use a couple of the topaz pluggins (Adjust, detail) but have not bought their noise reduction one yet. Out of LR5 and topaz denoise, which would you choose? Right now the budget only allows for one:> they would both be about the same cost wise. The subject in the picture above has had problems keeping himself out of the foxtails....and we have made several vet visits recently.... so the camera budget is on the low side. lol..

Real Name
    Dan

I can relate to the foxtails and hunting breeds. We have german shorthairs and have been suprisingly lucky but have had a couple of foxtail episodes over the years. Most recently one of them thought she could take down a purcupine.

I can't speak to the quality of LR noise reduction. I do have LR but haven't taken the time to learn to use it yet. If you bide your time with Topaz they run specials pretty frequently and you can probably pick up Denoise for half off within a few weeks. It's probably worth going on their site and signing up for their email promotions. I've been impressed enough with their products that I'm now up to five of them, Clarity being the most recent.